1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

DarkGlass B3K + EBMM Bongo = Lame?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Epitaph04, Jul 4, 2012.

1. Epitaph04

Epitaph04 Always overcompensating Supporting Member

Jul 5, 2010
    SoCal
    First off, I'll preface this post by saying that my recently acquired B3K sounds great when played through my MIM Fender Jazz. I get a nice crunchy grunt out of it, and can easily get some nice wooly fuzz and distortion out of it.

Thing is, when I play it through my Bongo 6, it basically becomes a 300 dollar FretClank pedal. It doesn't matter what I do, all the knobs really do is add more clank. Basically there's two settings on it, Lots of Clank, and Super Clank. I've tried driving the Drive knob all the way up, Level all the way up, and I cannot get anything more than a crapton of clank. Very little actual dirt at all.

So...is this because it's a Bongo? Is it because it's active? I even tried switching the batteries on the pre and it did nothing. Once again I'll say that it seems to work great on my passive Jazz...

Anybody else own a B3K and Bongo? :help:

2. Darkglass

Darkglass Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 10, 2008
    Helsinki, Finland
    Douglas Castro, Founder: darkglass.com
    Hi! Have you tried by rolling off the blend? It helps when you have too much hi end.

I've tried with a bongo and there are other TBers who use them together as well, I'm sure some will comment as well.

Regards!

3. MSUsousaphone

MSUsousaphone

Dec 4, 2009
    Lake Charles, La
    Endorsed Artist: Myco Pedals
    Maybe try having the volume on the Bongo down a hair. I dunno. Just throwing stuff at the wall.

4. Epitaph04

Jul 5, 2010
    SoCal
    My good golly gosh that seems to have done it...I feel so stupid too as the whole time I had the blend knob always past noon...you know cause I kept trying to get some dirt on my tone! :rollno:

So far DId into my GK 700rb I am getting some super nice dirt and crunch...just now I was playing some Anesthesia (couldnt resist) and Dub Trio's "Not For Nothing" (check them out!) and was in bliss...finally getting the tone I was looking for! Hopefully it also sounds the same on my MB112, as that was where I was really struggling to get anything but shattering glassy highs.

Once again thanks a bunch Mr. Darkglass for giving me such an obvious answer to my question, and to you too Mr. Sousaphone, since it was your review of the B3K that made me pull the trigger and start saving up like a madman! :hyper:

5. king_biscuit

king_biscuit Supporting Member

May 21, 2006
    US
    I suggest starting a thread about this over at the EB forum. You should get plenty of help!

6. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

He got his answer... the EB forum is nothing but fan boys... I hate going there...

Also, as expected, the issue was the user, that pedal makes everything sound awesome... even sloppy players like myself.

I tried my Dingwall out through mine tonight for the first time, sounded spectacular, just like my Carvin... now that I think about it I should try my Stingray through it as well... probably sounds great.

Glad it is shredding again for you! Now was is Anesthesia a band or did you mean the Type O Negative song?

7. Epitaph04

Jul 5, 2010
    SoCal
    Anesthesia as in Cliff Burton! Ha I haven't heard that song in ages but I've always liked the first 30 seconds or so. Sounds like a carbon copy of the recording itself with the drive maxed out. Dialed a few more tones in during the last hour...sounds amazing. Can't wait to use it in a band setting.

I'm actually in the EB forum but I don't post too terribly often there anyway..:bag:

8. Just like you said - I had weird highs with my blend past 1:00 on my Ric but find I can add a lot more overdrive with more direct tone blended in, making for a very solid low-end and having great crunch up top.

Even at low blend settings it works really well unlike some pedals, which always sound like two different things going at the same time(and blending horribly):)

9. Darkglass

Darkglass Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 10, 2008
    Helsinki, Finland
    Douglas Castro, Founder: darkglass.com
    Yeah, I learnt that when I got my Lakland, which is a lot hotter than my Fender!
    The Microtubes gets more treble because hotter outputs will saturate earlier thus exciting more harmonics!
    This is easily controllable with the Blend knob!
    And with the B7K of course you can do whatever you want frequency response wise ;).

10. K-man

K-man

Aug 11, 2009
    Ontario
    This kills me. I have been going back and forth between the BK3 and the elements (New bongo 6 arriving in a few months). Just when I think I have made up my mind I read another review. I am back on the fence again.

11. DeltaPhoenix

DeltaPhoenix Supporting Member

Apr 6, 2011
    Gainesville,FL
    Read the rest of the thread K-man.

12. Epitaph04

Jul 5, 2010
    SoCal
    Perhaps a mod should chnange the title of the thread to "b3k + bongo = awesome"!

I wouldnt want to cause DG to lose any sales!

13. K-man

K-man

Aug 11, 2009
    Ontario
    Sorry, to clarify my post; Epitaph04's post and followup have put the B3K back on my list. Sorry for the confusion. I again will have to decide. Now if money were no option I'd get both. But live dictates differently for now. Back to saving.

14. For my Bongo I have been using the B3K at 10:00 blend, 2:00 level, 10:00 blend, Attack = Off, and Grunt = Raw. For this setting I also dial back a bit on the volume knob as well. I had the same issue at first, as the previous bass I had used with it was my passive PJ. The Bongo certainly has a different kind of overdriven sound, that is for sure. I feel it is less chainsaw and more thunder, if that makes any sense at all. It has been working VERY well for me in my band setting.