Darkglass B7K Ultra v2 - no cab sim on 1/4" out

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by dheafey, Apr 2, 2018.

1. dheafey

dheafey

Jul 22, 2012
    Cow Hampshire
    In 1 day, I will become the proud owner of a spankin' new B7K Ultra v2!! Very excited. My only problem, so far, is the 1/4" out doesn't carry the cab sim. I surmised the creator's purpose for the 1/4" out would be connection to an amp and cab, therefore obfuscating the need for the cab sim. However, I typically have a Radial JDI at the end of my signal chain for connection to the FOH and feel it adds some texture and roundness to my tone.

I could remove the JDI from my pedal board and just go from the XLR out on the B7KUv2 to the FOH, but I'm just wondering if there's any way to connect the Darkglass to the JDI using an XLR-to-1/4" cable, but not sure that would work - impedance mismatch?

2. MDBass

MDBass Supporting Member

Nov 7, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Dingwall-Fender-Bergantino-Dunlop-Tech 21-Darkglass-Nordstrand
    You don't need the JDI at the end of your signal chain with the Ultra :thumbsup:

3. Yeah you do, because a lot (the overwhelming majority) of soundguys would rather eat a rotten donkey carcass than use anything other than their cheap, no-brand DI's.

OP, you could run an XLR-to-1/4 from the B7KU. You get your cabsim, and your/your sounguy's choice of DI, everyone wins

Fonkamex and dheafey like this.
  4. rugrat

rugrat Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2003
    Northwest Illinois
    I believe you would need a TRS 1/4 if you did. Someone correct me if I’m wrong.

5. dheafey

dheafey

Jul 22, 2012
    Cow Hampshire
    Based on Rane's Sound System Interconnection, I think it's either option 3 or 5 in Figure 4. The determining factor is whether or not the B7KUv2 uses a transformer or not.

Hypocrite and rugrat like this.
  6. Darkglass

Darkglass Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 10, 2008
    Helsinki, Finland
    Douglas Castro, Founder: darkglass.com
    It is option 3,;) you might not get any sound with the ground lifted, however, so please make sure to take that into account.

Kind regards,

Last edited: Apr 3, 2018
  7. dheafey

dheafey

Jul 22, 2012
    Cow Hampshire
    That's what I love about this board: access to the founders. Thanks Doug!! :hyper:

Fuzzbass likes this.
  8. So no XLR-TRS 1/4? Even though the XLR is balanced?

9. Darkglass

Dec 10, 2008
    Helsinki, Finland
    If you connect the DI output to a balanced TRS input then a regular XLR to TRS will work. For unbalanced connection you need to do this special wiring. Unfortunately this is not very well standardized.

10. OK, will a regular standalone DI work fine with a balanced signal, and how will that work with a through output to an amp or poweramp?

11. Darkglass

Dec 10, 2008
    Helsinki, Finland
    Actually, I must correct my previous answer, in theory both 3 and 5 from Sound System Interconnection should work, 5 should actually be easier: in theory an XLR to TS to a regular DI should work just fine.

12. That's great, thanks Doug!

Darkglass likes this.
  13. MDBass

MDBass Supporting Member

Nov 7, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Dingwall-Fender-Bergantino-Dunlop-Tech 21-Darkglass-Nordstrand
    I've been playing live for a very long time and have never been forced to use the soundguy's DI...maybe there is just a surplus of dead donkeys where you're from ;)

Hypocrite likes this.