1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Darkglass B7k ultra Vs Sansamp BDDI with Boss ODB-3?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by DeadbeatLine, Jun 18, 2017.

1. DeadbeatLine

DeadbeatLine

Nov 13, 2013
    Hi all.

I'm currently running a Fender PJ into a sansamp BDDI into an ODB-3 into my Ampeg SVT for a real gritty/grindy modern alt-rock sound. I have the BDDI set so I have a tiny bit of crunch on at all times as my 'clean' signal, then I turn on the boss for real balls to the wall aggressive meaty clank in chorus's. Works fantastic, regularly get compliments and overall I'm happy.

That is, until I started looking at the Darkglass B7k ultra, which could potentially do both pedals, in one box, and sound better than both existing pedals I have. What is your opinion on this? The Darkglass sounds amazing, but also seems very coloured and quite identifiable sounding, I seemingly can hear when someone is using a Darkglass on modern recordings these days. I also like that with the odb-3 I have a seperate EQ on the pedal for just the distorted sound, something I wouldn't have on the Darkglass as the distortion circuit would share the master EQ.

Let me know what you guys think!

2. keatz

keatz

Jan 19, 2011
    Any reason you have the odb-3 after the BDDI and not before? I currently run an odb-3 into a vtbass deluxe. I love the tone I get for my clean/tube-grit from the VT, but have been wanting to replace the odb-3 with a b3k. That's what I would suggest for you too if you are happy with your cleans but want the darkglass gnarliness. If money is no issue then I'd definitely get an A/O for dirt duties, sooooooo many tonal options on that bad boy.

3. DeadbeatLine

DeadbeatLine

Nov 13, 2013
    Because of my set up, there are a few effects that sound best with a clean signal (for instance, a POG2) rather than a dirty one (i.e. if my ODB-3 was before it) also just because on my pedalboard layout its easier for me to access after the BDDI.

I have heard good things indeed about the Alpha/Omega!

keatz likes this.
  4. RexxRokket

RexxRokket

Apr 23, 2012
    Hellnezuela
    Kinda late but here it is, I'm currently doing almost the same, tuner>gate>comp>sansampPARADRIVERV2>BossODB3. I just use it with my ampeg pf350 and 2x10 cab, overall I'm satisfied, nevertheless I would like to try the Darkglass B3K, the other ones such as the B7K do sound way to modern for my taste, the Sansamp IMO gives you a more classic sound and in case that you would want to sound a little bit more modern you can always set the ODB3 to archieve that.

5. SerratedBass

SerratedBass

Nov 4, 2010
    UK
    Endorsing Artist: Warwick Bass Guitars,
    B7K is basically a B3K with an EQ section and DI out. Have you tried a Cog Knightfall 66?

6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Nov 28, 2020