1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
  2. Welcome Back!  Please see this thread for more info about the site outage.  Thank you for your patience as we work out bugs and tweak server configs.

Darkglass Compressors: Super Symmetry Vs Hyper Luminal

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by cartoon face, Jun 22, 2020.

1. cartoon face

cartoon face

Jan 31, 2017
    Dorset, UK
    (Firstly, apologies if I’m duplicating a thread, I can’t find a direct comparison! )

This’ll be my first compressor. I want to add one to my board and I like the things I hear about DG. I have a chance at a used mint Super Symmetry for £180 GBP or I can find the extra ( approx) £50 GBP and go for the new Hyper Luminal. I’m stuck what to do, I know either will be doggies whatsits but is the HL really worth the extra?? I’m not a pro, though I play in 2 gigging ( or will be again after Covid!) bands. I can stretch for the HL if it’s worth the extra, my philosophy now is I buy the very best gear I can afford. Buy cheap, buy twice etc etc. Anyone owned both? Maybe upgraded or stuck with their trusty SS? Look forward to your thoughts ! :)

2. Ba55Man1ac

Ba55Man1ac Gold Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    The HL has the SS inbuilt plus 2 other compressor 'models'. If you love the SS sound, go for the SS, if you're curious about the others, save up the extra bickies. Personally I use the FET mode on the HL (Urei 1176-based), it adds a nice punch. The SS was a little dark for me.

Fuzzbass and cartoon face like this.
  3. mmbongo

mmbongo Regular Human Bartender Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Definitely get the Hyper Luminal. It covers everything the Super Symmetry does, plus a TON more. Plus it's half the size.

Ba55Man1ac and cartoon face like this.
  4. geolikezik

geolikezik

Mar 13, 2016
    Switzerland
    Also the HL has side chain HPF on all its compressor models, should you realise that you need later on.
    Sidechains

cartoon face likes this.
  5. cartoon face

cartoon face

Jan 31, 2017
    Dorset, UK
    Seems like unanimous ‘sound’ advice to squeeze the extra from my account and go for the HL... It’s all I want and more so it’ll meet my needs today and going forward(. Not a cheap but guess you get what you pay for) Looking at around £235 GBP. None about on the used market, that speaks volumes in itself.

Tbh I think £180 for the SS is a little steep when they’re still available for just over £200 here new but he won’t take less.

Ba55Man1ac and Fuzzbass like this.
  6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 16, 2021