DarkGlass electronics b3k vs. Tech 21 VT Bass?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by kenstee, Oct 13, 2011.

1. kenstee

kenstee

Oct 9, 2009
    So, any feel for how these stack up? Is one a replacement for the other OR are they complementary?

2. I think the B3k more emulates a brighter/more aggressive amp sound than an SVT.

GK, Marshall, Peavey, Traynor...anything that isn't the SVT "glog" type of OD.

Nothing against it, though:)

3. alainkills

alainkills

Mar 9, 2011
    Tuguegarock
    they're both great pedal.. and it would be nice to hear reviews from others. :)

4. stingray69

stingray69 Talkbass Legit

Aug 11, 2004
    St Louis Area
    +1

I love the sound of them both but FaithNoMan nails it. Two very different sounding overdrives. The SansAmp units have Ampeg-inspired voicing along with added speaker simulation. The b3k has its own aggressive, tube-like voice & a lot more gain on tap than most SansAmp units I've owned. Two very different sounding units that both excel at what they do - but in very different voicings, different overdrive range capabilities, & overall design.

5. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Born under punches

Aug 21, 2006
    Denver, CO
    I look at them as very different tools.

The B3K is a mid to high gain overdrive and the VT Bass is an amp/cab modeler.

While neither is transparent (the BK definitely has a baked in EQ curve to it) the Darkglass doesn't change your tone as dramatically as the VT Bass. It also has a clean blend and is very well suited to being a "kick it on" type overdrive.

The VT Bass is meant to emulate Ampeg tones and IMO it does it better than any other pedal available. From that old, tubby/muddy tube vibe to flip top tones to getting the SVT through a fridge sound, the Tech 21 can do it. And some more modern and aggressive sounds too. But they all have that Ampeg feel and they change your rig's sound to do so.

Because of that the VT Bass isn't a midsong type pedal. I used it for entire songs (especially in a cover band situation) to get the tone I wanted.

In short it's a modeler or preamp where the B3K is an overdrive/mild distortion.

As for tone, the VT Bass sounds like an array of Ampeg amps. The B3K (to my ears) sounds much more like a Marshall in the way it breaks up.

6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 15, 2021