Darkglass Electronics Unveils the Microtubes 900

Discussion in 'News & PR' started by TalkBass, Sep 26, 2016.

1. bwoodman

bwoodman Supporting Member

FX loop?

2. Darkglass

Darkglass Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 10, 2008
    Helsinki, Finland
    Douglas Castro, Founder: darkglass.com
    Yup. There's a Preamp out/Power In pair of jacks that are in fact an fx loop.

The Rage and bwoodman like this.
  3. Hambone 70

Hambone 70 Guest

Sep 21, 2012
    Beautiful design, too. I'm sure it sounds as great as it looks.

Could give Markbass an industrial/graphic design tip or two... or three...

Leiria, Honch and bwoodman like this.
  4. GBass001

GBass001

Mar 4, 2011
    Long Beach, CA
    72118391.jpg

5. bwoodman

Oh - cool - I did not know that - this is on my GAS list now - best looking micro out there IMO✅

6. bwoodman

I used to be a Walter Woods user - his Ultra is 1200 W @ 4 ohms. 800 to 900W seems to be the max lately - Peavey's new one is 1000W @ 4. I don't know much about class D amps - does WW make his own power supply vs. other MFRs who buy pre-designed power sections?

7. Honch

Honch Guest

Sep 7, 2006
    The only thing I find peculiar about Darkglass, that they all reside in Helsinki Finland. No one of the staff seems to have any Finnish names, but latin/spanish sounding names. And lo and behold, one of the staff members even plays a fanned fret Dingwall left handed and UPSIDE DOWN, (like Jimmy Haslip) with the bottom string the lowest, and the only thing I wonder is how that feels? ;) I could as well ask Sheldon about this too, since he's left handed, but ...

Maybe they adapted some "stage names" or artist names like South American soccer players, because the real names are too hard to pronounce and spell outside of Finland?

I have no beefs about their products though, I've tried them, but as I am a no frills bass player, they're too expensive for me. But if we where talking guitar I would be all game. Not sure about all this vacuum nanoelectronics though (is this why they call it microtubes?). To me, it sounds sales mumbo jumbo more than anything else. No matter how good it sounds.

My main beefs with all class d bass amps of higher power are the fans at the back. I am not sure but, even EBS has their low moderate owere 250W Reidmar, with cooling fans running. I would still see some alternative solutions to all this, albeit not at higher powers. I understand you must cool it.

Not only that, half a year ago it was unveiled a 700 amp. Now, when trying to find that on their website, it's virtually impossible as they haven't a search function. If you try to browse under "creations" you'll only find pedals there. None of the 700 or 900 amps. Have you put the 700 on the backburner in favor of 900?

Last edited: Oct 3, 2016
  8. MojoPenguin

MojoPenguin

Jul 11, 2014
    Europe Bro'
    @Darkglass Interesting presentation.

Anyway. Doug kudos to you for starting from scratch, getting a work visa and then a working company, all while making products you actually care about.

Like I said happy pedal user, might try and get one of these heads along the way. :D Cheers

9. Darkglass

Dec 10, 2008
    Helsinki, Finland
    Thanks! Looking forward hearing your thoughts when you try it!

MojoPenguin likes this.
  10. Darkglass

Dec 10, 2008
    Helsinki, Finland
    Not necessarily. There are plenty of options out there when it comes to class D module manufacturers and output power ratings.

11. bwoodman

OK - I had no idea (I'm not an electronics guy) - but it IS interesting that Walter Woods was making high-wattage "micro" amps before anybody else - since the 70's as far as I know, and it took many years for that concept to catch on with all the major MFRs.....and now they ALL make them.

Darkglass likes this.
  12. bwoodman

And like I said, your amp is the best looking micro out there IMO - very clean look!

Darkglass likes this.
  13. Honch

Honch Guest

Sep 7, 2006
    what happened to the 700? replaced by this one?

14. Darkglass

Dec 10, 2008
    Helsinki, Finland
    Exactly. The 700 was a prototype we wanted to show at NAMM.

Very cool! I'll take a look.

Thank you!

Honch likes this.
  15. Honch

Honch Guest

Sep 7, 2006
    Well, then I know. Since you seem to be the Head Honcho (hah!) at Darkglass I will take this sneak opportunity to suggest a design change of your pedals, that I have yet to see any company (pedal) do. As I watched "that PEDAL SHOW" at Copenhagen Guitar Show last weekend those two guys, albeit slightly unhinged, seemed to agree with me on one thing of all pedals made:

Make the bottom of all pedals reversible!

So you can turn them upside down and screw them back on. Then that surface (which are of course uncoated) can be stuck with whatever velcro or glue, for use on a pedalboard, you'd like and let it stick on there wihtout ever a) have to remove rubber pads b) keeping the sticker of the serial number. When turned around, the rubber pads and whatever should be not touching any electronics inside. Say, if you decide to sell them after 5 years, you can just turn the bottom around again, and a) you know where the rubber feet was, you don't need to keep track of them b) the sticker with serial number is still pristine like it was new c) remove that velcro and any residue is turned inside so it doesn't look ugly. And then buy a new pedal... of course a Darkglass one.... ;)

I find it very peculiar that no one has ever thought of this. I'll give this idea to you for free to chew on for a while.

ServinJbass likes this.
  16. elkkid2

elkkid2 Supporting Member

Jan 2, 2012
    Rio Vista, Ca
    Yes, please do explain more! --And, where can I order one?

17. Lammchop93

Lammchop93 Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2007
    Louisville, KY
    got mine from @bebass at shomemusic.com. He got it to me very quickly!! Highly recommend him

elkkid2 likes this.
  18. Fat Freddy

Fat Freddy Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2016
    Albany NY
    No Aux in?.....No phones jack?....

Yep!....I want it all.....:D

19. KB5

KB5

Sep 28, 2012
    Necro bump...

I'm speakon illiterate due to the old school nature of my equipment. How does using the above snake effect impedance? The same question for daisy chaining cabinets with speakon connectors. I want this amp in a bad way but really don't get how I can use multiple cabinets. What cab impedance should would I need to use two cabinets? Any news on the Darkglass cabs?

20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 1, 2021