1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Darkglass Microtubes 900 into cab sim?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ArvindJayaram, Jan 31, 2018.

1. I was wondering if anybody has tried something like this going direct into FOH or even into an interface.

I have a Microtubes 900 inbound and I was contemplating running the preamp out into the cab sims of my Zoom B3.

Good? Bad? Ugly? Anyone tried this?

Unlikely to get good results? I'm curious to know.

hintz likes this.
  2. Never done that live but have done it into an interface plenty of times. It sounds fine, really no different than B7k. If you're using very much distortion the DI is pretty noisy so a cab sim can be helpful to tame the hiss/noise.

3. That sounds pretty killer. Perhaps I'll hang on to the Zoom instead of selling it, much obliged!

4. hintz

hintz

Jun 5, 2014
    wahiawa, HI(Oahu)
    I'm 99.9% certain I'm gonna do exactly this with my 900 for 2 reasons: 1. The XLR volume is controlled by the master volume on mine and it has to be up to noon to get a proper level (way too loud for live gigs!!) And 2. I really dig the sound of the DSM Omnicabsim.

I plan on running the Omnicabsim through the FX loop and taking the XLR from that. I just did an experiment yesterday running my Empress compressor through the FX loop (preamp out/power amp in) and it sounded great so I imagine the Omnicabsim will sound perfect.

5. hintz

hintz

Jun 5, 2014
    wahiawa, HI(Oahu)
    I have recorded twice with just the head BTW. Apparently there are a few different versions of the 900, the earliest won't send a "post" signal the FOH but I lucked out being broke when they were 1st released.