1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Darkglass: Microtubes B7K Ultra vs. Alpha Omega Ultra

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Hi-End Basses, Feb 6, 2018.

1. Microtubes B7K Ultra

26 vote(s)
    51.0%
  2. Alpha Omega Ultra

25 vote(s)
    49.0%
  1. Hi-End Basses

Hi-End Basses

Apr 20, 2015
    Darkglass aficionados, If you could only have one, which one would you choose and why?

2. madmaskbass

madmaskbass

Apr 29, 2008
    Australia
    lol no one even has the A/O ultra yet lol...but if it is a poll to decide which one to buy then the biggest question should be how much do you like distortion? The B7K's greatest strength is in its subtlety IMHO flame suit on because some like the dry raspy distortion sound it can get. The distortion on the A/O is generally pretty meaty and I think that its strength is at higher distortion levels than the B7k. If I was to personally choose one at this stage (before I even receive the A/OU) I would chose the b7ku because it does everything I need it to and is incredible beyond belief. A/ou is ordered thoug...totally can't wait!!

Hi-End Basses and Guest of Honor like this.
  3. Doesn't the upgraded B7K Ultra v2 have the same bells and whistles as the AO Ultra, aside from the graphic eq

Hi-End Basses likes this.
  4. Crystalman85

Crystalman85

Nov 30, 2008
    Chicago, Il.
    Ooo tough call. they're both great sounding bass distortion pedals. but if it has to be one, I guess I'll go with the alpha omega mainly because is sounds heavier to my ears. I find the alpha/omega control pretty unique. alpha sounds smooth and heavy and omega sounds pretty brutal. since I'm mentioning this pedal, I was thinking of getting the alpha omnicron. it sounds just as heavy as the alpha omega, but in a compacted size. it would make a great addition to my darkglass vintage microtubes.

Hi-End Basses likes this.
  5. Fenflex

Fenflex

Apr 13, 2017
    France
    I voted Alpha Omega Ultra because I think it's the most versatile by itself

But in my case, I already have a B7KU that I find awesome so I think I'd rather go with adding an Alpha Omicron to it. That way I could have 3 levels kind of signals : clean signal, a soft distorded one with the B7KU and a brutal one with the AO.

6. Aybabtu

Aybabtu

Feb 8, 2018
    The Netherlands
    I just about asked the same thing in my intro thread. I also added the Vintage Ultra to the equation. I'll be keeping an eye on this thread...

Darkglass and Hi-End Basses like this.
  7. bjelkeman

bjelkeman Bass player wannabe Supporting Member

May 9, 2013
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Tricky. Depends on the basses I play. They sound differently with the same pedal. Personally I think the B7KUv2. But... I am a Darkglass user, with the M900 amp, B7K, VMT and the AO pedals.

hintz likes this.
  8. dannybuoy

dannybuoy

Aug 3, 2005
    England
    B7K for sure. I have a B3K, Alpha Omega and M900. I feel the A/O was a bit overhyped and prefer the upper mid aggressive slice of the B7K (well, the B3K mode of the amp which is effectively the same thing!).

JulienP. and hintz like this.
  9. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Gold Supporting Member

Easy for me: B7K. Obviously the AOU is not out yet, but I owned an AO for awhile. I thought the AO was a really cool pedal, but for tone and distortion texture I happen to prefer B7K. To me the B7K is a katana, and the AO is a chainsaw (to extend dannybuoy's "upper mid slice" analogy).

hintz and Darkglass like this.
  10. MDBass

MDBass Supporting Member

Nov 7, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Dingwall-Fender-Jule-Dunlop-Tech 21-Darkglass-Nordstrand
    AO Ultra all day long.

The A side can sound very similar to the B7K circuit, and the ability to blend with the completely different sounding O side makes it much more versatile than the B7K.

This is just bass > AO Ultra > Pro Tools with a bit of added post compression:

11. hbabels

hbabels Supporting Member

Jul 26, 2015
    Phoenix, AZ
    That’s a tuff choice as my fav Tone is the alpha/omega stacked into the B7k

For my setup the B7k wins by a Hair because it’s my “always on” Sound and then add the alpha/omega when I want more dirty which frankly is most of the time.
    There just something about the Tone with the 2 together that I can never seem to get with Just one or the other.
    But both are great and flexible on their own as well.

Overall there is probably a few more Tone options under the hood with the alpha/ omega Both can do a lot though

And both can do lower gain type tones very well and are not Just limited to over the top metal type tones as people often think.

JulienP. likes this.
  12. Northfear

Northfear

Mar 15, 2017
    Does it butchers the low end the same way B7K does? (it sounds great in the vid, but I was wondering about firsthand experience)
    I got B7K myself. It sounds great, but a bit too thin in the mix for me. Almost like a bass with guitar OD (and I actually like how it sounds with a guitar).

13. jpTron

jpTron

Apr 19, 2010
    NJ
    B7KU. Every video I saw of one convinced me I had to buy one. Bought one, love it, will never sell it.

Every video I've seen of the AO has convinced me not to buy it. I think it sounds pretty bad. I'm talking A/B video examples where the same gear is being used and only the preamp is the difference.

14. MDBass

MDBass Supporting Member

Nov 7, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    The b7k actually has a big low end boost around 100Hz and a deep, but narrow, cut around 300Hz as part of its flavor.

The A side of the AO doesn't seem to have the same 300Hz cut, but it has a similar tight response.

JulienP., Northfear and Fuzzbass like this.
  15. rugrat

rugrat

Nov 12, 2003
    Northwest Illinois

Actually, Darkglass is known for NOT sacrificing any low end.

16. Northfear

Northfear

Mar 15, 2017
    Not boosting it by default then. I'm just saying that B7K sounds a bit weak in low end for me (when compared to SansAmp BD for example)

rugrat likes this.
  17. hintz

hintz

Jun 5, 2014
    wahiawa, HI(Oahu)
    I've noticed this slight overlap as well on some of the A/O demos. With that, I dig how the A/O can get alot further into distortion territory than the B#K's can!!

MDBass likes this.
  18. bailos

bailos

Mar 10, 2018
    I tried out both options at my local supplier as I was unsure on what would work best for my application.

Previously I had a b3k with a sansamp as my "always on" sound and wanted something more.
    For me the B7K Ultra v2 was the sound I was after. The AOU was good, but not to my taste.

If you have the chance, I would recommend you try them both out with your bass and see what works best for you.

Darkglass likes this.
  19. MDBass

MDBass Supporting Member

Nov 7, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Another tone demo of the AO Ultra: Bass > Southampton 5th Gear > AO Ultra > DI out with Forrester's "Punch" IR direct to Pro Tools.

I added a bit of compression in post and sliced out a bit of 4.1k, but that's it.

20. Ohmygarth

Ohmygarth

Apr 18, 2018
    I always thought the AO sounded like poopie tbh. Like a wet fart, but sonically the B7K is pleasing at any gain level you have it on