1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Darkglass tone capsule in P/J with Geezer pu's ?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by pfschim, Jan 10, 2017.

1. pfschim

pfschim Just a Skeleton with a Jazz bass

Apr 26, 2006
    SF Bay Area
    Hey TB,
    Looking real hard at a bass that has had its usual stock electronics (Fralin's & Bart NTBT pre) replaced with a Darkglass tone capsule.
    Bass has EMG (?) Geezer pu's

Question:
    I am comfortable with active and passive basses, but I'd like to know if the Darkglass can be run in passive/off mode ? Important for me to understand.

I'd also like to hear from Darkglass users, particularly with PJ configs.
    I have a Lull M4V (great bass) and a 51 P CIJ re-issue, but I would like to add a P/J to the stable.
    I have been going over this in my head for a few months. Its possible what I really need is a straight std P, but this particular bass f/s on TB is too good to pass up.

I think that ultimately this bass is a good choice, because the basic instrument should be wonderful. So, if I just can't live with the Darkglass tone capsule preamp, I can always take it back to its original electronics package and still have a great bass.

so, any thoughts/replies/insight from the collective wisdom and experience of TB is welcome.

thanks

2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Maxfenderbass likes this.
  3. pfschim

Apr 26, 2006
    SF Bay Area
    hey Mr JM, I saw that too, but did not see any switch on the bass for sale (Lull P/J). I connected with the seller and was told that the current set up includes a push pull control that handles the active/passive switching.

I know you are a fan of the Geezer P pu's, and I have read good things about them. I am not a traditional P player, although I did grab a CIJ '51 P reissue last year.
    But I understand that the '51 with its single coil pu is not really a classic P ('57 style) sound, and thats what I am considering with this purchase.

Of course, it would be much more straight forward to just get a real P bass and not be distracted by this beautiful Lull P/J for sale :cool:

4. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    It's all good. Lull makes some serious basses.

5. pfschim

Apr 26, 2006
    SF Bay Area
    yep, my main player is an Lull M4V .. great instrument .. still a pleasure to pick up every time.