1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Darkglass Vintage DELUXE vs Aguilar Tonehammer pedal.

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by stephenleejp, Jun 16, 2014.

1. stephenleejp

stephenleejp Supporting Member

Apr 20, 2008
    Virginia Beach
    Sonic goal:
    1) the ability to add subtle color to signal.
    2) di out, just in case (ill be using my demeter or evil twin normally)
    3) EQ - I want to shape my passive jazz.

What I can deduce:
    EQ: The eq points and sweepable mid on the aguilar would make it a "better" eq pedal.
    Color: the vintage seems to have the largest variety of tones and it blends too (big plus)
    Power: the vintage is 9v and the aguilar is 18v : it'll be easier daisy chain (if I need too) the vintage but there is more headroom with the TH.
    Price: the vintage deluxe is 150 more than the TH, but I believe the vintage actually has a useable color box built in.

Does anyone know if the eq on the vintage deluxe is post or pre?
    Deluxe users: would you say that the deluxe is a color box smashed into a di/eq box?

Thanks

Note: I know how to use the "search" feature. I know what superlatives are. And, I know how to use "IMO, IMHO, and IMM" :)

2. Having owned a Tone Hammer and currently owning a B3K(I know it's not what you're asking about), Darkglass EQ is all post-overdrive.

The biggest difference is the Tone Hammer sounds a bit muddier and mushier in it's driven sound, whereas the VMT and VMT Deluxe had a bit more grind, kind of like a "tamer" version of the B3K and B7K. Much tamer but the "character" of the grind is still there. I love that sound and they have the first set of pedals that have that sound inherently.

The difference is, with the VMT Deluxe is that you can really dial that back to get a smooth sound that is nicely defined in a mix.

I didn't get on with the Tone Hammer's overdrive. It sounded like pure mud to me. As a DI and a preamp it worked great, but I'd take DG pedals over it any day.

IMO, of course:)

Last edited: Jun 17, 2014
    dukeisdog and yaksonator like this.
  3. stephenleejp

Apr 20, 2008
    Virginia Beach
    Awesome thanks.
    Yea, from all the demos I've heard the aguilar drive is lacking.

4. stephenleejp

Apr 20, 2008
    Virginia Beach
    Just bought the new MXR M81.
    Same eq points as the TH but 100 cheaper :)

5. Britbonic

Britbonic Supporting Member

Jun 20, 2002
    San Francisco, CA
    Yeah, that was my thinking (hoping) too but there's more to it than that. I did some side by side tests with same EQ and volume levels. Part of the test was to dial in some of the TH settings I use on the MXR. I could get close with the MXR but TBH it didn't sound as good at the TH. Not bad, just not as good. Could be difference in quality of components or the overall design. eg - even if EQ points are the same, slope may be different. I'm also having a problem with low output from the DI on the MXR. Even with the EQ disengaged, volume much lower than it should be.

6. Lou V

Lou V

Oct 12, 2003
    Chicago
    Wanted to bump this to see if anyone else had opinions. I've owned the TH and the Darkglass vintage- loved both, preferred the darkglass, but also need something with a little more top end for cleaner textures. Has anyone compared the darkglass vintage deluxe with the MXR M81? Are they even in the same league?

7. Britbonic

Britbonic Supporting Member

Jun 20, 2002
    San Francisco, CA
    Not intimately familiar with Darkglass pre but own a TH and MXR M81. All 3 can function as straight toneshaping preamps. The difference is that the TH and DG both have other toneshaping options to add their own particular color or character to the signal. The M81 is just a straightforward preamp with no special toneshaping or color options. I suppose you could get some grind/overdrive out of it but probably won't sound as nice as the other 2 do in that situation. So, yeah if you just want a straight ahead pre to add a little top end to the MXR would work well. It's a great little box for the price.

8. triviani

triviani

Oct 23, 2010
    I had the MXR M80, was fine, although the distortion was ugly. The pedal developed some scratchy noise on the knobs, became an unusable door stopper.

Never had the Vintage Deluxe, quite too much expensive for me, sorry.

I do have the Tone Hammer, and I like it quite a bit. The AGS side of the pedal with the gain set low and the EQ set to taste, sounds great. The mids control is quite useful. Plenty if threads about it.

Special mention to the Hartke Bass Attack, really good for the price.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2014
    D0rk1n likes this.
  9. hintz

hintz

Jun 5, 2014
    wahiawa, HI(Oahu)
    does the deluxe VMT lack in top end? I've never played through the vmt, but I use the B7K which doesn't lack anywhere for tone! I am curious about this as I've seen many people straight up trade the two here more often than sell a DG, but I'm very happy with mine(still would like to try one!) I used the mxr m80 years ago, even though I never used the drive, it really sounded great imo! Sorry I can't really help, I would like to say that the B7k is very versatile as a clean DI/preamp, I have the gain off, and if you want less color you can shut off the blend for just a clean eq with no dirt, I still wanna try the vmt though

10. stephenleejp

Apr 20, 2008
    Virginia Beach
    This is great guys, thank you!