1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Darkglass Vintage Microtubes vs Vintage Deluxe

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Matt_oc, Sep 9, 2016.

1. Matt_oc

Matt_oc

May 29, 2014
    Sydney, Australia
    I'm in the process of overhauling my pedalboard and I'm looking at ditching my fuzz for a softer overdrive. The fuzz just isn't suiting what I'm doing at the moment. I've loved the samples I'm hearing from the Darkglass vintage series and looking for an opinion as to how well these would sit with my setup.

I'm going P bass>compressor>light chorus> Big Muff> MXR M80 at the moment with the M80 functioning mainly as a boost for when the guitarists stop their chord work and go into some harmonies. The darkglass would likely sit where the muff is now. My question is: with the EQ available on the M80, do you think the extra eq on the Vintage Deluxe is going to make it worth spending the extra money (and space on the board) or would the Microtubes have me covered?

Edit: Forgot to mention, the plan is to have the Darkglass basically always on, working as a tone shaper

2. NoxNoctus

NoxNoctus The Crushinator

May 9, 2004
    Annapolis, MD
    The Darkglass EQ is extremely well thought out. I think it's even better than having a standalone EQ next to the pedal; which is how I used to run my B3K before upgrading to the B7KU.

3. jfn77

jfn77

Apr 23, 2013
    Helsinki, Finland
    I have both the MXR M80 Bass DI+ and the older VMTD (with era knob), and I think with the additional EQ in the VMTD (especially in the newer model with separate lo and hi mids) is worth the money. M80 has very scooped mids and distortion, the VMT is basically the opposite with boosted mids and vintage overdrive. :)

But then again, I have them both always on. :)

4. Matt_oc

Matt_oc

May 29, 2014
    Sydney, Australia
    Thanks, great reply, I'm planning on testing both side by side next month when I'm in Melbourne (hard to find a place that stocks them and will let me sit around and have a play for a while down here). Does the new vintage deluxe suffer at all from not having the era knob?

5. jfn77

jfn77

Apr 23, 2013
    Helsinki, Finland
    I've read that the era knob from the older model acts almost like the newer model's hi mids knob.

6. dannybuoy

dannybuoy

Aug 3, 2005
    England
    The new VMTD also has the boost and grunt switches from the B7K, which affect the low and high end going into the drive circuit and can alter the overdrive characteristics drastically. I would go for the Deluxe. Also consider the Pike Vulcan XL!