1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Darkglass Vintage pedals differences

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by roccobankrupt, Nov 8, 2018.

1. roccobankrupt

roccobankrupt

Nov 8, 2018
    Hi guys,

Do you know if the 3 types of DG Vintage pedals (VMT Overdrive, Vintage Deluxe v3, Vintage Ultra v2) have the same sound only with more tweaking capabilities (and the cab sim in the Ultra), or if there's a difference in sound?

I mean, the VMT overdrive pedal has an Era button, can you get those sounds out of the other versions?

2. Northfear

Northfear

Mar 15, 2017
    Nope. Era is set to the maximum internally in the newer VMD and VMU's. Deluxe and Ultra are pretty much the same, but VMT is a bit different kind of a beast really. But if you want to get "B7K, but with more mids" out VMD/VMU, you should be fine with it.
    But ERA knob is a fun thing overall (kind of reminds me of a "Character" on Tech 21 VT Bass). I guess that it acts as a pre-OD equalizer and affects drive is some way too. You can get more "vintage" sounding overdrives with it, if that's your thing.
    Attack and grunt are missing on the other hand. The interesting thing is that I don't think that VMT is the same as VMD or VMU with grunt and attack set to "flat". Had both VMT and VMDv2 at the same time once and I just couldn't get them to sound exactly the same.

3. Crystalman85

Crystalman85

Nov 30, 2008
    Chicago, Il.
    There are differences between these pedals. the vintage microtubes is compacted and only consists of 4 controls. blend, era(tone), level, and drive. also it provides a warm overdriven sound and can fit in any pedalboard. especially if you own a bunch of pedals.

the vintage deluxe is more advanced and consists of more but different controls. version 1 of the vintage deluxe for example consists of level, blend, drive, era and a 3-band eq. version 2 has the usual level, blend, and drive control. but it also has a 4-band eq for sculpting the distortion sounds. plus it has 2 toggle switches(attack and grunt) that alters the distortion sounds. and version 3 is the same as version 2, only with 2 buttons which emphasizes low and high mid frequencies. plus it has an xlr output which is handy for home recordings.

And lastly the vintage ultra is a preamp version of the vintage microtubes. this pedal has the same exact controls as the vintage deluxe, only it has 2 buttons for clean channel and distortion channel. it can be used live and in the studio. the newest version includes cab simulation which comes in handy for recording music. and you can download the cab models on the darkglass website.

Hopefully this helps you out. I personally like the vintage series from darkglass. I own the vintage microtubes and it is my most treasured bass overdrive pedal. I do plan on getting the vintage deluxe to go with my vintage microtubes sometime in the future. if you plan to get a darkglass vintage series pedal yourself, by all means check it out. it will provide you with some killer distorted bass sounds. it's very useful for rock and metal music.

knowledgebass likes this.
  4. roccobankrupt

roccobankrupt

Nov 8, 2018
    Thanks for the answers.
    Ideally, I'd need the functionality of the ultra (preamp, cab sim) and the moderately overdriven sound of the VMT overdrive pedal. I'm a poppunk/indie guy, and I wouldn't need metallic distortion, just a VST-like vintage sound.

Crystalman85 likes this.
  5. roccobankrupt

roccobankrupt

Nov 8, 2018
    One more question, how's about the VMT mode of the Microtubes 500 amp? Is it more like the VMT overdrive or Ultra/Deluxe?

6. Crystalman85

Crystalman85

Nov 30, 2008
    Chicago, Il.
    Sure thing...the vintage ultra is a good choice for recording and live performance.

7. Crystalman85

Crystalman85

Nov 30, 2008
    Chicago, Il.
    Judging that it's on an amp, it could be more like a vintage ultra. otherwise, it's more or less like a vmt built into an amp.