Darkglass Vintage pedals differences

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by roccobankrupt, Nov 8, 2018.

1. roccobankrupt

roccobankrupt

Nov 8, 2018
    Hi guys,

Do you know if the 3 types of DG Vintage pedals (VMT Overdrive, Vintage Deluxe v3, Vintage Ultra v2) have the same sound only with more tweaking capabilities (and the cab sim in the Ultra), or if there's a difference in sound?

I mean, the VMT overdrive pedal has an Era button, can you get those sounds out of the other versions?

2. Northfear

Northfear

Mar 15, 2017
    Nope. Era is set to the maximum internally in the newer VMD and VMU's. Deluxe and Ultra are pretty much the same, but VMT is a bit different kind of a beast really. But if you want to get "B7K, but with more mids" out VMD/VMU, you should be fine with it.
    But ERA knob is a fun thing overall (kind of reminds me of a "Character" on Tech 21 VT Bass). I guess that it acts as a pre-OD equalizer and affects drive is some way too. You can get more "vintage" sounding overdrives with it, if that's your thing.
    Attack and grunt are missing on the other hand. The interesting thing is that I don't think that VMT is the same as VMD or VMU with grunt and attack set to "flat". Had both VMT and VMDv2 at the same time once and I just couldn't get them to sound exactly the same.

3. Crystalman85

Crystalman85

Nov 30, 2008
    Chicago, Il.
    There are differences between these pedals. the vintage microtubes is compacted and only consists of 4 controls. blend, era(tone), level, and drive. also it provides a warm overdriven sound and can fit in any pedalboard. especially if you own a bunch of pedals.

the vintage deluxe is more advanced and consists of more but different controls. version 1 of the vintage deluxe for example consists of level, blend, drive, era and a 3-band eq. version 2 has the usual level, blend, and drive control. but it also has a 4-band eq for sculpting the distortion sounds. plus it has 2 toggle switches(attack and grunt) that alters the distortion sounds. and version 3 is the same as version 2, only with 2 buttons which emphasizes low and high mid frequencies. plus it has an xlr output which is handy for home recordings.

And lastly the vintage ultra is a preamp version of the vintage microtubes. this pedal has the same exact controls as the vintage deluxe, only it has 2 buttons for clean channel and distortion channel. it can be used live and in the studio. the newest version includes cab simulation which comes in handy for recording music. and you can download the cab models on the darkglass website.

Hopefully this helps you out. I personally like the vintage series from darkglass. I own the vintage microtubes and it is my most treasured bass overdrive pedal. I do plan on getting the vintage deluxe to go with my vintage microtubes sometime in the future. if you plan to get a darkglass vintage series pedal yourself, by all means check it out. it will provide you with some killer distorted bass sounds. it's very useful for rock and metal music.

triviani and knowledgebass like this.
  4. roccobankrupt

roccobankrupt

Nov 8, 2018
    Thanks for the answers.
    Ideally, I'd need the functionality of the ultra (preamp, cab sim) and the moderately overdriven sound of the VMT overdrive pedal. I'm a poppunk/indie guy, and I wouldn't need metallic distortion, just a VST-like vintage sound.

Crystalman85 likes this.
  5. roccobankrupt

roccobankrupt

Nov 8, 2018
    One more question, how's about the VMT mode of the Microtubes 500 amp? Is it more like the VMT overdrive or Ultra/Deluxe?

6. Crystalman85

Crystalman85

Nov 30, 2008
    Chicago, Il.
    Sure thing...the vintage ultra is a good choice for recording and live performance.

7. Crystalman85

Crystalman85

Nov 30, 2008
    Chicago, Il.
    Judging that it's on an amp, it could be more like a vintage ultra. otherwise, it's more or less like a vmt built into an amp.

8. quilanthegreat

quilanthegreat Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2014
    Seattle, WA
    Hi there, reviving this thread a bit. I see you recommend the Ultra for live and studio use - would you also recommend the Deluxe for the same applications?

Crystalman85 likes this.
  9. sunbeast

sunbeast Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2006
    Denver, CO
    I’ve owned every version of the Vintage apart from the newest Ultra version and am now back to the basic VMT again. The Era control on the VMT and the Deluxe v1 definitely does seem to dial in sounds that I couldn’t find on the pedals without the Era control. That said, the switches on the newer pedals do make them more versatile. For me I really ended up preferring the tone and simplicity of the original VMT with the Era, paired with another DG pre afterwards with EQ

Fuzzbass likes this.
  10. sunbeast

sunbeast Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2006
    Denver, CO
    They are both great options for any application depending on your needs. If you don’t an EQ’ed clean tone, cab-sim, headphone out, etc then the Deluxe will likely do you well. The one thing I do really appreciate on the Ultra pedals is the Master Volume control which allows a much easier level balance

11. Lowbrow

Lowbrow Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2008
    Allentown, PA!
    I own both the VMT and Vintage Ultra v2 - I think the simpler VMT is great for live gig OD (terrific, in fact) and the Ultra with its deep tweakability is very well suited for direct recording. You can get similar sounding OD but the Era control on the VMT makes both sound and operation inherently somewhat different - the Ultra's Grunt and Attack toggles kinda/sorta take over the Era function of controlling the nature of the OD tone.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2020
  12. Crystalman85

Crystalman85

Nov 30, 2008
    Chicago, Il.
    Yes you can. I was thinking of purchasing the darkglass vintage deluxe v3 sometime in the future.

13. keatz

keatz

Jan 19, 2011
    I think an original vmt alongside a harmonic booster would be pretty fantastic and extremely versatile

Fuzzbass likes this.
  14. vivaknoxvegas

vivaknoxvegas El Duderino Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2002
    Knoxville, TN
    Just got (ordered, not arrived) an Ultra version, the latest version with the aux input. Prymaxe calls it the VDUV2A. I’m excited to try it, upgrading from a VT Bass DI.

Anyone run a standard VMT with the Ultra? I like what I’ve read about the Era control on the VMT. Just wondering if anyone uses both pedals.