1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Darkglass Vintage Ultra w/ a P-Bass [Video]

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Bunglerr, Nov 26, 2017.

1. Bunglerr

Bunglerr

Mar 22, 2017
    Annapolis, MD
    A quick demo I put together while testing the Vintage Ultra out for the first time. What a fantastic pre amp, overdrive, and DI.

This is in a rock setting with a mid forward, aggressive tone.

Blu bro, pbass6811, Fuzzbass and 3 others like this.
  2. songwriter21

songwriter21 I have an obsession for wood. The musical kind. Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2005
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Sponsored by Hipshot
    That's nasty. I just got one of these...should be interesting when I pair it up with my Yamaha NE-1!

3. Bunglerr

Bunglerr

Mar 22, 2017
    Annapolis, MD
    Hope you enjoy it! Let me know how it works out for you.

4. songwriter21

songwriter21 I have an obsession for wood. The musical kind. Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2005
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Sponsored by Hipshot
  5. micguy

micguy

May 17, 2011
    This video hits me like a lot of others. It's happened dozens of times - I go looking for an overdrive pedal that can do a really subtle thing, I hear exactly the sound I'm looking for (Eureka!), and then...they turn on the pedal.

So, what's in the chain besides the Darkglass? Inquring minds (at least mine) want to know.

filler83, Kenova and BrentSimons like this.
  6. Bunglerr

Bunglerr

Mar 22, 2017
    Annapolis, MD
    Are you saying you liked the sound BEFORE the pedal was on? Too much drive?

The chain is pretty simple and direct, as I wanted to let the pedal do it's thing for demo purposes.

Chain: Highway One P-Bass > Straight into the Darkglass > Direct Out XLR into a Focusrite Saffire Pro 14's mic pre > Steven Slate VCC plug-in (modeling a Neve pre, this is subtle) > FG-Stress compressor plug-in (moderate amount of compression)

No amp modeling. No EQ in Pro Tools.

7. micguy

micguy

May 17, 2011
    For me, yes, I liked the sound before the pedal was on. Too much drive is also obviously subjective - I'm always looking for a not really clean, but also not obviously dirty sound, and...it's elusive. I have a VMT, but use it rarely, and even then, very sparingly.

Thenks for providing details - maybe the Neve plug in is a hint. Yes, it's subtle, but...that's precisely where I live. I sometimes describe my pedalboard as "never have so many electronics been employed to do so little".

Kenova and BrentSimons like this.
  8. CoarseBass

CoarseBass

Dec 28, 2002
    I think a lot of folks (myself included) really like a nice bright, strings chiming off frets bite on their rock bass tone; the clean tone here has that in spaces. The VMTDU fills in dirt all around that, while actually attenuating the native sparkle to my ears - I think it's the treble cut active on the high side.

Sounds great on and off. If you like off and want that sound...BXK more than VMT will help bring forward the sparkle without adding much more dirt, if that is what you want it to do. And play new strings, hard.

Fuzzbass likes this.
  9. Bunglerr

Bunglerr

Mar 22, 2017
    Annapolis, MD
    On the pedal off track, you may be hearing and liking the compressor, FG-Stress has a killer sound.

The Vintage Ultra does clean up, I had the drive set around 2 o'clock so there's plenty of room to dial it back; as well as a blend knob. If I am dialing in a bass tone for recording, I typically push the drive a littler higher than I would want to hear it solo'd, as it tends to sit in the mix and be a little more present that way.

10. Bunglerr

Bunglerr

Mar 22, 2017
    Annapolis, MD
    Yes to new strings! That was recorded right after a fresh set put on.

Also agree with you on having a bright (sometimes I describe this as "piano like") tone for rock; it cuts in the mix and sits well with guitars.

11. P-oddz

P-oddz Supporting Member

Apr 7, 2009
    Milwaukee, WI
    Are you aware of the Colour Box (not to derail the thread)?

12. Bunglerr

Bunglerr

Mar 22, 2017
    Annapolis, MD
    I've seen these and it's on my list to try out.

13. Kenova

Kenova

May 5, 2010
    Zagreb (Croatia)

I know what you mean, I have same experience. Only pedal for now that does that is Tc Electronics Spark Booster, go to thread here and find some infos, same on youtube