Darkglass Vintage vs. Darkglass B3K vs. Myco Three

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by SplinteredSkull, Jul 26, 2013.

1. Darkglass B3K

18 vote(s)
    31.6%
  2. Myco Three

16 vote(s)
    28.1%
  3. Darkglass Vintage

23 vote(s)
    40.4%
  1. I had another forum discussing effects pedals, but it seems to have slowed up just as we were reaching the conclusion! Basically, i'm looking for a great overdrive pedal for metal. Now i've listened to demos and videos and etc. and gotten comments on all these pedals. The B3K sounds awesome and what i'm going for, and so does the Myco and Vintage. However, i cannot find something where the Myco and Vintage are pushed to highergain overdrive. I prefer the warmer, "tubier" sound of them over the B3K, but i do not know if they get as gnarly or nasty as i need them to be. Has anyone pushed these pedals and how do they compare to the B3K ?

2. gregmon79

gregmon79 I did it for the muff... Supporting Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    Its because the VMT and the Three arent high gain pedals to my knowledge. They are supposed to be lower gain, sort of tubes pushed gain. The B3K is the way to go for what youre wanting I think.

3. I want the more overdriven tube sound. I'm looking for an aggressive low end, and not so much gain put onto the mids and highs. I'm asking if i can get a mean sound out of them; like a High on Fire type sound. Not necessarily a high gain pedal. From what i understand the B3K has a slightly more distortion type sound emphasized in the mids and highs, whereas i'd like more of a low end crunch sound

4. The riff at the beginning of this video sounds perfect: if i have the ability to add more bite to it. Which is what i'm asking of the VMT

5. gregmon79

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    I think either the VMT or three would be the way to go then. I don't know how gainy the three is but you could def get that high on fire sound with the VMT I think. I've heard he uses a fulltone bass drive, ever given that any thought?

6. As for the Myco Three, I actually mispoke. I know it can get me the drive i need, but i wish to know how it compares to the other two when it comes to sound shaping options. It seems to only have a tone knob, which i feel limits how you can change the sound. Is this true?

7. It was my understanding most of the newer songs they do he just simply uses overdriven tube amps. And i haven't actually looked at that before; $300 seems a lot for a used pedal though. I really dig the sound of the Myco but i don't even know if $300 for that new is worth it

8. jumblemind

jumblemind I also answer to Bryan Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2011
    Knoxville
    It's worth it if you want real tube overdriven sound without buying a tube amp. And actually, you should just buy a tube amp if that's the sound you want. Will save you time, money, and heartache in the end.

The VMT is a great tube like sound, but it's high gain is def limited; what you hear in that clip is about its max IME. Something like a Mercy Phuk or other nice overdrive pedal could fill out the top end and be an awesome full spectrum crunch sound, but again you're into a fair amount of money at that point getting one sound with two pedals.

9. gregmon79

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    +1 to this. The bass player uses an Ampeg and marshal heads blended together to get that sound. I think he even said there was no way he could get close to that sound through pedals. OTOH, some of those tube heads cost 2 to 3 grand a pop (new of course, you can probably find them cheaper used Im sure) so I see why you are trying to go the pedal route. You may not get REALLY close, but maybe you can get in the same ballpark. I still think youre gonna need say the three to get you that tube saturation and then another heavier gain pedal on top of that. Ive always wanted that three pedal. Again, I would think you could get closer if you add say an OCD or bass drive onto the three. Just my thoughts.

10. I was thinking about getting a hybrid head with an all tube preamp; an all tube head just doesn't seem worth it to me. Looking at the GK MB Fusion or 550

11. tomydacat

tomydacat Supporting Member

Jul 14, 2009
    RVA
    look into ampeg SVT 7 pro ..just my .02

12. mouthmw

mouthmw

Jul 19, 2009
    Croatia
    Not if you want a reliable head. My .02....

13. gregmon79

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    I've been GAS'n for that amp for a while now. I'm of the mind you are. Although, if I had a lot of money in the bank, I'd probably pick up an all tube ampeg and mesa.

14. MSUsousaphone

MSUsousaphone

Dec 4, 2009
    Lake Charles, La
    Endorsed Artist: Myco Pedals
    I've got a B3K and my Myco Four should be in, today. I can post some quicky clips up, soon. I have a solid state amp so it'll do a good representation of seeing if it gets tubey enough for you.

I don't own a VMT (but am not opposed to someone mailing me there's :) ) and my Myco Three is still on loan without clips being made so it'll be a bit until I can help you out there.

15. Yea if i can hear those clips that would be awesome man. If the Myco sounds tubey enough with a solid then i can save money there getting a nice solid state; if not can still do hybrid. But if it does then i can take that saved money and get another pedal if it doesn't have enough drive. How did your Three compare to the B3K?

16. One of those would be really nice to own; I've heard there's great tones from both. I simply don't have the money or need to put into one. I've heard decent things about these hybrids though; and it's especially appealing with something like the Fusion weighing only 4 lbs

17. yaksonator

yaksonator Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2011
    Carthage, MO
    I have extensive experience with the three. And it does make a solid state amp sound like a tube amp.. and since it is a tube overdrive you can add a boost before it to push it even more.. Very cool BTW. And it can get REALLY loud, my volume doesn't go past 12 and that's plenty. Great pedal, I don't know anything about the other though.

18. yaksonator

yaksonator Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2011
    Carthage, MO
    The tone knob to me sounds a little like my passive tone knob on my pbass.

19. Yea? That's awesome haha; putting the money into it would be made up in getting a solid state

20. So really you'll just have to rely on your head's EQ to shape the sound fully then?

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 24, 2021