1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Darkstar Pickup, P Bass, String choice?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by KellanEmSoftly, Feb 19, 2016.

1. Hey TBers!
    I recently dropped a Fred Hammond Darkstar pup into my Mike Lull P4, and have found that my rig may need some dire reconsideration.
    Typically, I prefer flatwound strings on all my basses. Upon first plugging my bass into my Eden practice amp, I found that it sounded totally amazing - everything I've always wanted in my tone. Lots of low end, with a grisly top end sizzle, almost like an upright when the fingerboard's got some growl.
    Unfortunately, plugging into my Aggy TH500/DB112 rig did not show these same results. The high output of the pickup seems to drive the low end into oblivion, and there's not a ton of definition to speak of.
    I thought perhaps there could be something wrong with the installation of the pickup, but strapping a set of roundwounds on cleared up that hypothesis. It sounded as clear as a piano - really remarkable, defined tone. It's just that I don't care much for roundwounds, and I want that flat thump without losing too much top end.
    Any suggestions? Should I reconsider how my bass is dialed in to the amp? (EQ is typically flat, volume soars at about 2 or 3). Should I try tapes or something? Guide me!

Attached Files:

2. This. With the right EQ it can change almost everything. I'm not sure what the EQ section is like on your Aggy, but if you can't seem to get where you want to be with that I may consider a new amp/preamp. My Eden WT400 allows for almost all of the flexibility I will ever need. I was struggling with my new Pyramids strings the other week. After some consultation and a quick tip, all I needed was a little boost around 900k hz to get where I wanted to be. Those pickups are really awesome and capable of being sculpted in a wide variety of ways. With some tweaking you shouldn't have any problem getting where you need to be.

BTW, sweet bass. I'd love to play that thing.

3. kramerj

kramerj

May 22, 2003
    Iowa City, IA
    I bought a Lakland Duck Dunn with a Darkstar from a fellow TBer. It came with Thomastik flats. Had a nice upright vibe but did not provide enough definition on gigs. Replaced the strings with EB Cobalt flats (see other threads on these strings). This has significantly improved projection. I agree with the other posters that Darkstars are highly responsive to amp settings, strings---and technique.

Last edited: May 18, 2016