1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Darkstar + Q-Tuner + ACG Preamp

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by ZombiCrow, Feb 18, 2008.

1. ZombiCrow

ZombiCrow

Jun 15, 2006
    Davenport, IA
    What are your opinions on using a Darkstar in conjunction with a Q-Tuner, in conjunction with the ACG Pre? I realize that many say "No preamp necessary!" with the Darkstar, and some again with the Q-Tuner, but it's all theoretical at this point anyhow. I've read great things about all three units, so would they be as great as the sum of their parts?

I was thinking specifically of the first incarnation of the ACG Pre, since it filtered the pickups seperately, then blended them. All of this electronic-magic will be going into a new custom bass.

Thanks!
    Devin

2. grace & groove

grace & groove

Nov 30, 2005
    philly
    Self-Appointed Ambassador to the Dragonfly
    Darkstar would get you a vintage ballsy tone while the Q-tuner would get you a hi-fi clear tone.

I don't see the point of them together.:meh:

3. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    Now that I have a bass with two Q-Tuners in it, I wouldn't want to let anything get in between them and my amp. Also, although they are very clear sounding, they have just as much balls and attitude as any pickup, particularly when you roll the tone off and run a pair in series - ridiculous punch!

Alex

4. RIM Basses

RIM Basses Custom Basses from the UK

Aug 6, 2006
    Luton Town
    I Second that and I built Alex's bass!

Q-Tuners straight to the Jack, pure tone!

Cheers,

Robbie.

5. Another vote for Q-tuners straight to the jack. Although I may steal the Dark Star + Q-tuner idea, since I've been looking for a fun neck pickup.

6. It will be a very versatile bass. Add a piezo bridge and you should be able to get any sound you would ever want. But, I agree with above and feel that both Dark Stars and Q-Tuner's sound so good by themselves that they really don't need a preamp.

7. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    Really? Myself, I think the tonal diversity and blending there could be interesting.

8. grace & groove

grace & groove

Nov 30, 2005
    philly
    Self-Appointed Ambassador to the Dragonfly
    I just don't think it would sound good. JMO of course.

9. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    Hmmm, Skip of Knuckle (Quake) Basses and I were talking about that way back when I first was looking at Q-Tuners and after trying it he came to the conclusion that unless you are driving a 13-pin output with the piezos, they ended up not really needing to be there.

10. ZombiCrow

ZombiCrow

Jun 15, 2006
    Davenport, IA
    Well I decided to let the ACG Preamp go; lots of money to alter what's already going to be a great sound. I'm going to put in a master volume that removes itself from the circuit when it's wide-open, and a tone control that does the same.

As far my pickup selection, the Q-tuner is my choice for "hifi" sounding pickup on this bass, and the Darkstar is my "vintage-fi." I realize they sound different, but great. So why in the world would I want a great-sounding Q-Tuner and a great sounding Darkstar in the same bass giving me both sides of the pickup worlds everyone seems to be after? Really? :rolleyes:

11. I'm curious to hear why not...I've played both pickups, I would love the option to switch between a P-placed Darkstar and a MM-placed QTuner at will. Someone else mentioned blending, that might be a nice option as well.

12. DavidRavenMoon

DavidRavenMoon Banned

Oct 20, 2004
    I think that's exactly the reason to have them together.

I had a vintage Gibson mudbucker at the neck and a Bartolini Hi-A at the bridge in my '73 Ric.

That way you can get both tones from one bass... or even mix the two.
    :D

My current main bass gets a similar warm round tone from the neck, a lot like a P bass, and a more hi-fi growl from the bridge. Together they sound wonderful! So I have a whole pallet of tones.

13. ZombiCrow

ZombiCrow

Jun 15, 2006
    Davenport, IA
    I'm very, very glad to see I'm not in the minority with my Darkstar/Q-tuner idea. Now don't everyone run out and copy me, but definitely feel free to copy the idea of two-awesome-different-pickups! :D Now if I can somehow add a Kahler whammy-bar.... haha.

14. alexclaber

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    I can see the point of both pickups, my problem would be deciding where to position them!

Alex

15. ZombiCrow

ZombiCrow

Jun 15, 2006
    Davenport, IA
    I positioned the DarkStar in the P-position, give or take a tiny bit. I originally wanted the Q-tuner in the MM position, but apparently the P- and MM- positions are slightly overlapping. I ended up going with P- and J- positioning, and hopefully it'll sound awesome. If only I could rig it so all pickups were sliding...

16. alexclaber

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    How about a circular rotating pick guard so you can swap their positions? ;)

Alex

17. ZombiCrow

ZombiCrow

Jun 15, 2006
    Davenport, IA
    Now that's just ridiculous...:D