1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Darkstar/single coil in the sweet spot?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by carlos840, Oct 9, 2010.

1. Hi all,
    so im planning my next darkstar build!
    I have a darkstared jazz bass that is my favorite bass, and since i have a second pair of pickups im thinking that i want to use the neck one to do a 51 Pbass copy and the bridge one to do a DarkRay!

Has anybody used one in the sweetspot before?

My worry is that it wont have enough bass! Historically every bass that i can think off that has a single pickup there is active, which i really dont like.
    Is that because the natural sound of this position is to thin without a preamp to beef it up or do you guys think a single coil pickup there can actually sound good passive?

Cheers

2. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

Nov 15, 2007
    Chicago
    I think fellow TBer Chef has a 70's Tele bass w/ Darkstar. It popped up here a couple days ago.

3. GregC

GregC Johnny and Joe Gold Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2007
    Chicago
    As a big Dark Star fan (I have a US Lakland Glaub with one in the P position and a Lakland hollowbody with two), I would tell you not to worry about low end.

In a Skyline Glaub w/DS that I used to own, the pole pieces were on the bridge side of the pickup--very close to where they would be on a DarkRay, no? And I had gobs of low end available.

4. nagarjuna

nagarjuna

Dec 10, 2006
    The Gunks, NY
    I guess you can say that the Dark Star in my Jack Casady is in the "sweet spot."

It sounds great. No loss of bass at all. I think that you should just do it and not worry about it. Good luck.

5. Spiritfield

Spiritfield

Mar 2, 2004
    Jawja
    I had a Skyline Glaub with a DS in the "P" position... sounded great. No problem w/ lack of bass! Check out a G&L L-1000. Totally passive, massive sound, MFD pickup in the "P" sweet spot.

6. Hans Gruber

Hans Gruber

Jun 18, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Something I've always wanted to try myself.

7. kjpollo

kjpollo

Mar 17, 2008
    CT
    I think people are confused by the term "sweetspot".
    If you mean the traditional sweetspot for a P-bass, you'll be fine.
    As far as the DarkRay idea goes, I think you have a legit concern if you're thinking about putting a Darkstar in the classic MM position. I'd be worried about bottom-end output too.

Think about the tone you get from a standard passive Jazz bass when you solo the bridge pickup. More bright than bottom.
    I would think that a Darkstar would come across similarly-after all it would be a single coil placed near the bridge!

8. GlennW

GlennW

Sep 6, 2006
    If you want more bass try a bigger cap.

9. For me the sweet spot is the MM spot!
    Which is where i was planning on putting it and my question is about lack of bass in that position!

My concern was exactly what your talking about, the soloed jazz bass bridge pickup... That is really to thin sounding for my taste and i was wondering if 2 inches movement towards the neck would be enough to get more low end without going as far as the P bass position which i intend to do to on another bass!

I already have a darkstared jazz and i want to do a darkstared P bass and a darkray!

10. GregC

Jan 19, 2007
    Chicago
    I thought my post pretty much directly addressed the question of putting a DS in the MM spot.

11. Isnt a glaub a Pbass? Would flipping the pickup 180deg be enough to be simulate a MM position? I think it woudnt be close enough to the bridge no?

12. GregC

Jan 19, 2007
    Chicago
    Yes, the Glaub is a P-bass. I'm not sure exactly how close it would be, but I bet it's not too far off--in the MM position, I'm sure you'd want the pole pieces away from the bridge. It's worth looking into.

Oh, I just remembered--you should also send a PM to Jedibass. He used to own a Lakland with a Dark Star in the MM position.

13. Peer75RI

Peer75RI

May 1, 2009
    Netherlands
    DS in a Jazz? DarkRay? Believe me, you'll find plenty of big bottom with a DS at the bridge. :cool:

Here's a fretless Jazz with DS at the bridge I did last year:
    301120091109.jpg

14. Well, as you can see my jazz has the bridge pickup at the same spot, magnets facing the same way and i find it pretty thin sounding when bridge pickup is soloed! (compared to a normal jazz pickup its pretty fat, but in the end its not very full in a mix!)
    Its really a sound i never use, which is why although im really curious about a darkray im worried about it sounding very thin!
    I did a drawing of the pickup and putting it in the sweet spot would move the magnets a bit more than 1" towards the neck, would that be enough to significantly add low end?

DSCN1442.jpg

15. main_sale

main_sale

Apr 26, 2004
    Cape Cod
    I've got this Lakland and it has all the bass I could ever want or need. It made me a huge fan of the Dark Star pickup and I plan to use them more in the near future.

Guitars005.jpg

16. That is NOT the sweet spot i am talkign about!
    MM is the sweet spot...

17. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    I'm just guessing A DS in the MM only position would be thin for me, but I don't have direct experience to put behind that.

I do think the the "reversed 180" P position is gonna be close to the MM spot, but I run mine the other way.
    I'd be concerned that it would be thin-ish, yep.

IMG_1545.jpg

Big, big low end here, but, plenty of awesome DarkStar top end too!
    tele.jpg

18. Two different things. The MM 'Ray humbucker location is not the same as a bridge pickup on a J bass. I have an MM style 'bucker on my P bass (in the same location as it would be on a 'Ray) and also own an OLP MM2 which is passive and neither are lacking in the bottom end department. Just use your amp's EQ as intended to tailor the tone.

19. main_sale

main_sale

Apr 26, 2004
    Cape Cod
    Here's my MM Ray5 for comparison purposes.

Sterling5Web.jpg