1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

darkstar vs p - sound clips

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by screaminglucy, Apr 18, 2010.

1. screaminglucy

screaminglucy

Jul 20, 2009
    TX, USA
  2. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    shrug.

I have no preference, both sound fine.

3. both sound good - get 2 basses!! :D

as soon as I get my dream P, next'll be a darkstar P. . .

4. Gintaras

Gintaras

Dec 11, 2004
    Kent Island, Md.
    always wanted to hear a darkstar comparison. Love the Darkstar. I need a Darkstar P !!:crying::crying:

5. rwelcome

rwelcome

Jan 26, 2005
    Were the settings the same? The Darkstar sounds noticeably quieter.

6. +1

It sounded like the darkstar was more subtle, maybe less output?

7. MarkusBass

MarkusBass

Feb 24, 2008
    California Coast
    Graphic Designer: Lakland
    What P pickup is that?

8. screaminglucy

screaminglucy

Jul 20, 2009
    TX, USA
    the p pickup is a nordstrand np4

9. screaminglucy

screaminglucy

Jul 20, 2009
    TX, USA
    the level may not be the same i had to turn down the level on the preamp for the darkstar because it is a lot higher output and less compressed in character

10. i can't imagine the darkstar is lower output. nordstrand might not be the best example of a P sound but guess what? i like the P clip better

11. Jefenator

Jefenator Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2008
    Oregon
    Hard to say from the clips. (These days I like to "normalize" the audio from different bass sample clips, get the levels as close as I can. Otherwise, the louder clip tends to automatically sound "better".)

The P did seem to stick out w/ more midrange. Bump the Darkstar up a few dB, though, and that could be a nice thing. Seemed like it had a thicker low end.

I'd like to try playing a set with that Darkstar axe - then I'd really have an opinion! :bassist:

TFS!

12. jhfishn

jhfishn Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2004
    Mays Landing, NJ
    I really like the P pickup. Much more too!

The Darkstar seemed .... well .... dark. I liked the articluate clarity of the P.

I kept going back and forth to see what i thought. I've never heard a darkstar before and I have a 2004 Lakland Bob Glaub USA with Lindy Fralins so i would think I'd be a bit more to leaning toward the Darkstar just because of what I've heard but that was not the case at all.

13. Bassamatic

Bassamatic keepin' the beat since the 60's Supporting Member

The P is better to my ears. More defined.

I have tried many pickups in my P, the latest was the Fralin, and always returned to the stock one ( '08 USA P, La Bella Flats)

14. screaminglucy

screaminglucy

Jul 20, 2009
    TX, USA
    i'm probably going to redo these clips with fresh strings on both basses (and fix the levels). the darkstar may sound darker because the strings are a bit older.

15. Tristan

Tristan

Jan 28, 2001
    Ottawa, Canada
    P sounded better imo. Better clarity, more mids. DS sounded too muffled imo.

16. CapnSev

CapnSev

Aug 19, 2006
    Coeur d'Alene
    Agreed. I won't take it as the final verdict on Darkstars v Ps though.

17. etherealme

etherealme Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2007
    Louisiana
    What monitors/speakers are we using here? You all may have perceived a lower output, and maybe you're right, but I heard much more on the low end with the Darkstar. More scooped and high mid crisp with of course less midrange. Different speakers, different ears, different taste... Thanks for the clip!

18. screaminglucy

screaminglucy

Jul 20, 2009
    TX, USA
    this is exactly what i hear (using headphones)

19. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    That's pretty much what I hear through my Bose Companion 3s but I still have no preference and think they both sound fine.

20. MarkusBass

MarkusBass

Feb 24, 2008
    California Coast
    Graphic Designer: Lakland
    Me too!