Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

darkwood bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by shwashwa, Nov 2, 2004.

1. shwashwa

shwashwa

Aug 30, 2003
    NJ
    there is a link in the links area of this very site to a company called darkwood music. their basses look very interesting for pizz players... i was wondering if there is any info on these...i did a search of the form here and nothing came up.

2. shwashwa

shwashwa

Aug 30, 2003
    NJ
    bump

3. KSB - Ken Smith

KSB - Ken Smith Banned Commercial User

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    Owner: Ken Smith Basses, Ltd.
    Looks like Chinese Prices at to me. No phone number?.. Just email and send your money?

Gee, I wish I could do business like that.

Read their Violin story about classical and fiddle.. Funny.. at best.......

4. shwashwa

shwashwa

Aug 30, 2003
    NJ
    sorry ken. just saw your reply today... you dont think they're made in the usa? you dont have high hopes for them it seems. i did e mail them and they got back to me pretty quick, but i dont think the guy knew the difference between pizz and arco from the e mail he sent. he did say that the fingerboards were more curved since they're supposed to be played pizz, but i would think the opposite would be more attractive to a pizz player.

5. KSB - Ken Smith

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    The cost of wood and parts for a Bass is more that thier entire Bass. USA Luthiers run from 20-25K on average and up for a handmade in the usa REAL wood carved Bass.

Plywood assembled from imported parts run much less. I dont' but their story one bit!

I just had a new fingerboard and Bridge made for my Martini and it ran $2,100. alone.

6. shwashwa

shwashwa

Aug 30, 2003
    NJ
    maybe the wood is crappy? maybe they're factory assembled? what do you think?

7. KSB - Ken Smith

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    First do a little study on how a Bass is made. All the different little pieces etc. The amount of hours to make a Bass and the cost of living in USA etc. will also dictate a MUCH higer price for a handmade instrument. It doesn't matter in build time what quality wood you use to carve a Bass. It takes just about the same time to use good wood as it does bad wood. Different species or lower/higher figure wood can alter build time but not the difference that they are charging by a long shot.