Darn...broke another E...

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Brendan, Jun 25, 2001.

1. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Today, I broke my E string again... And I tell you, it's kinda bothering my that I've broke 4 E's in two years...well, the thrid one WAS a Taper Core, so that mighta sped things up a bit...but I'm seriously wondering about the saddles on my bass at this point, because I'm pretty sure I don't play to hard...that said, does any company make graphite saddles for bass?

...And I really liked that Taper Core to...
  2. I broke a couple of E strings a while back, 1 week apart playing the same song at rehearsals!! It was on 2 different basses as well - put me off using Elites strings. Not sure about graphite saddles, but you could always try rubbing a soft pencil on the saddles when you change strings - that should get enough graphite in there to help!!!!

Johnny Boom Boom
  3. I have that problem too, but I have an excuse. I play too hard and occasionally use a real heavy pick when nothing else is available. I've broken all 4 strings in the past 2 years, but the other day I broke my first E! I fel so proud...:)
  4. Rockinjc

Dec 17, 1999
    It stopped happening to me after gave up on through the body stringing for the A & E strings. Gosh, I hope I didn't jinx myself.

5. I don't understand how you could break an E string...How thin are your strings? How much do you play? How long do you leave them on for?
    My guess would be the bridge saddles...do you still have the stock bridge on?
  6. Newsted

Jun 24, 2001
    is very easy to broke an E by using pick and lay thrach metal but i have broke some E about 4-5 in this year is something nutural you see there is nothing erfect in this world maybe you just fall in the rong one strings or you play very hard
  7. MJB

Mar 17, 2000
    I'd be willing to bet that if you guys that are breaking a lot of strings would get an amp with a bit more power that would go a long way toward saving your strings. Being underpowered may cause you to play harder than you think you are.
  8. The Navigator

The Navigator

May 17, 2001
    Tucson, AZ
    I've broken my E string probably about 10 times in the past 12 years of my playing with several different basses. 8 of the 10 times it's been live.

But I'll be the first to admit I'm punishing on those strings. I was playing in metal bands, and though I don't use a pick, I can sometimes feel myself playing too aggressively live sometimes.

I think I may have solved it, like someone mentioned earlier, by beefing up my amp. I still break my G string about 5 times a year though.