Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Darn it! Just banged my index finger and it hurts/has swolen up

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by addylewis, Dec 21, 2005.

1. Any medical advice available? - I just hit the dog on the nose for being naughty (well...she DID try and bite the cats head off!) and it suddenly killed all the way to the tip..no pins and needles just pain - especially at the first bend - its swolen to the point where I can't see the joint (just a big hump covering the 2 sections) - have I broken it? - it feels like it needs to click back into place - but the last time I had that I'd actually fractured something...its my index finger, fretting hand...

...looks like band practice is off for a bit - I banged a different finger 6 months ago and it took a week to stop hurting when I played (and I've still got a bigger bump tn II should have there - this felt very similar to the one I've just done...)

any advise would be greatly appeciated from anyone who knows anything about accidents like these...

2. MeYHymN

MeYHymN Habitual User

Nov 7, 2004
    Charleston, WV
    Ok, getting help or instruction technique here on TB is a great idea. Asking for opinions/reviews on TB is another great idea. TB, however, is not the place for medical diagnosis.
    Now, just my $0.02, but from your description it sounds like you over extended the joint, or you just stubbed it real bad. Worse case is you've torn cartilidge (sp?). Just ice it up, and keep it in a splint or something for a few days. Then gradually start to work the finger on occasion but keep it splinted the rest of the time.

Now, put all that aside and take your happy-lil-rearend to a real doctor and get it checked. After that, decide which is more important, the dog or the cat, and get rid of the other one :crying: . Good luck.

3. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    Go to a Doctor, it's what you pay your National Insurance for. :) to show no malice or flames intended.

4. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    I once bent my pinky back, and a hematoma formed. I went to a doctor who misdiagnosed it, saying it was just swelling that would go down in a few days, and to keep it in a splint :meh:. Months later, (my RN aunt finally saw it and recognized it for what it was. Get to a good doctor right away if you can- my issue hindered my playing for nearly a year.

5. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    Thread title changed to meet forum profanity rules.

6. You could have been more creative, Pacman...

like..."oh poo! I just bumped my wittle finger and it hurts!"