1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

DARN YOU VISTA, computer speakers?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by santucci218, Jul 20, 2008.

1. santucci218

santucci218

Jan 26, 2007
    Pittsburgh
    i woke up this morning and vista totally uninstalled my computer speakers! i did a system restoration to when they were working, nothing. I don't get it.

Computer > USB Audio Interface > headphone out to speakers.

it worked fine but now it doesnt. it says it needs drivers installed, so i try to find them on my computer, and it cant find them.

I dont have a disc with any drivers either. i dont see why they uninstalled

Get a mac! Give me money and i will...

2. L-A

L-A

Jul 17, 2008
    Eh?
    Drivers for a headphones output? Nay, you need the drivers for your soundcard, then.

3. Wasn't this a hack copy of Vista anyway?

4. +1
    More than likely you will have to reinstall the sound card or on-board (motherboard) driver.

Also take a look at this guide if you feel comfortable making changes to Vista and the registry.
    http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleID=2238

One of the tweaks is turning off "automatic driver search and installation". Not sure if that's the problem, but as stated in the article Vista will not always install the best driver, just that latest. look at #14 here:
    http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleid=2238&page=6

5. L-A

L-A

Jul 17, 2008
    Eh?
    But if it's a cracked copy of Vista, you might have some work to do, since some crack OEM versions of Vista :p

6. Well, it must have had a good reason. After all, windows isn't there to enable you to use your computer to do what you want. It has many much more important functions, as predetermined several years ago by the pencil-necks that wrote the thing. Your speakers must have been interfering with some vital function that nobody uses or wants, but which MS has determined is an integral part of their OS. . .
    Vista < Virus. Microsoft is circling the drain. Why are you even attempting to use that piece of garbage?

7. Marcury

Marcury High and Low

Aug 19, 2007
    Mid Hudson Valley, NY
    Speakers don't need drivers, so as others have stated must be your souncard. Good Luck 0r...

Buy a Mac :ninja:

8. I suggest one of these in place of your MP3 files.

[​IMG]

9. Masher88

Masher88 Believe in absurdities and you commit atrocities

May 7, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    This is the kinda crap that made me get a Mac in the first place. I used to build my own PC's...then I got fed up. No drivers, no switching of jumpers on new hardware, no having to go to websites to DL drivers and Apps...on your computer that is messed up so you can't get to the internet. No Viruses. No pop-ups.

Yeah...it's worth a little extra cash.

Or...you can get a used Mac...like the Powerbook I am typing this on now...400 dollars last year. It's only a G4 ("only"). But I "only" use it for web and email and some iTunes. My G5 is upstairs for when I need the power.

10. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    You know there's only one solution ;)

Get XP.

11. Fixed.

12. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Do you have a Creative sound card? If so their drivers are crap and are prone to do this kind of thing.

bc

13. This is about the third time I've seen this in this thread....y'all do know there are USB speakers that function as audio devices, right? that said, I don't totally understand what he's describing because I'm in XP. Hell, I just switched from Win2k last year.

14. Paul, sometimes windows gets confused.

Did you try plugging the speakers into another USB port and let windows create another instance of the device?

Worth a shot.

15. peterbright

peterbright

Jan 23, 2007
    On The Bayou
    Have Vista on multiple machines & no problems.

16. +1! Shy of the prettier GUI (to some) Vista is crap (IMO... I know Brad uses and loves it). I think it's the second coming of ME.

17. Falkner

Falkner

Mar 5, 2008
    Agreed. As soon as I found XP drivers for my laptop I ditched Vista, and whadda you know, it's working 100% now. No more hardware problems at all. Before, hardly any of my games would run and Vista seemed to like to forget that I had wireless. :meh:

18. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 25, 2021