Darned deabte. Or: What should I get first?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Brendan, Dec 1, 2000.

1. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Now, I've resigned to a fate: I will own a Conklin GT7 in Wine Finish. That's not a debatable thing. But this is:

I've been mulling it over, and I'm wondering, what should I get first, a 5 string, 6 string, or just go strait to the Conklin, do not pass go. Whenever anyone decides to talk instruments, it envariable ends up with people dumping on my Seven string, so then I'm really bent on getting the seven. However, beings that I'm in a rock band, I'm starting to wonder if the 7 is the smartest thing to get next. Should I get a less stringy bass? Or go to the power of the 7? It's really buggin me, because I kind of want to figure out what I'm going to spend my money on, or should be saving for. Right now it's the GT7, but, I'm starting to doubt if that would be the most intelligent move at the moment. But, I AM leaning towards the 7. It's just something I think, no wait, I know I need. (Psst...if you really want to help me...tell me I'm supposed to get the 7!:D) But seriously, got any opinions on the matter?
  2. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Brendan, I can't make the decision for you, but I am of the 'Go for it' opinion myself.

I mean, don't get a 7 just for the macho thing(look how many strings that I have! I am badass!), but if you see yourself on the 7 string and feel that the 7 is what will allow you to express yourself, and see yourself there in 2 or 3 basses, why spend money on those 1 or 2 in between, unless you are like me and just have major GAS, want to have one of everything someday!
  3. notduane

Nov 24, 2000
    Brendan! Hi-Ho again dude!

I agree with embellisher, i.e., it's all up to you, but...
    If you wanna' check out what a 7's capable of, go here -
    http://billthebuddhadickens.com/ - and click on "Sound
    Bytes" (you'll need RealPlayer). "Coda" has some serious
    low-end funkin' AND upper register chording.

My real reason for gettin' one? Gimme' a minute,
    I'm rationalizing...

I'd always been a believer in the 3 "person" format (see,
    I can be P.C.!). This usually means the bassist has to get
    busier to "fill-out" the sound. Waaay back in the day,
    I was focusing on the 3-person concept and got a double
    Rick (4080/12). A bass and a, umm, 12-string...guitar.
    There I said it. YES, Geddy had somethin' to do with it
    too. Ancient history. A moot point really since the Rick
    and a big ol' stack o' Peavey gear wound-up in the pawn
    shop after I got married, never to be seen again (boo-hoo).
    After the divorce, I got the Conk-7 for the same minimalist
    reasons. But even before the Rick, I was a 4-string
    disciple. I guess I can't escape my roots (graying
    and otherwise).
  4. air_leech

Sep 1, 2000

dear Brendan:

someone on this board once mentioned that you don't switch to 5 string when you get pro on 4 and to 6 when you feel you used the 5 to it's outmost. (that way your grandchildren will buy you the seven string when you retire and move to Florida)

it's a different thing, the question is are you really going to use those extra 3 strings or are they just going to get in the way.
    from your post I guess you want to commit to playing the 7 string so I say go for it, the music style of your band is not a factor, an IRC mate once told me he has been to a blues bar gig and seen that guy there playing a 7 string bass who just rocked. now I don't know, but I taught that a P-bass was enough for blues* but the bass can be employed in all music styles and it's up to you how it functions in the band so if you get a 7 string and you don't wonder after every gig or session why you got those 3 extra strings in the first place, you should get that Conklin GT7 whose got your name on it.

*no pun intended for you blues bassists out there.
  5. cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Brenden it sounds to me like you want the 7 string, if thats the one you want you should go for it. It doesnt matter if your in a rock, country, jazz, fusion, punk, top 40 or any other kind of band, you can always use those 3 extra strings in any style of music. (some may disagree with that but I believe it true)

Not Duane thats a nice link ya posted, I like the online lesson part of it especially.
  6. notduane

Nov 24, 2000
    de nada dude!

I WAS gonna' suggest getting "Bobby Rock & Neil Zaza -
    Snap, Crackle & Pop...Live!". The bass solo on disc 2
    is...words escape me :rolleyes: :confused: :eek: !

But then I figured, if they can sell kidneys on eBay, there
    has to be a link to sound bytes of the Buddha somewhere.
    ( http://www.dogpile.com ;) ).

Dang! There goes that warped sense of humor again :p .

Thanx (blame?) to jennifer for explaining how to add
    smilies to text :D ! (click on smilies under the forum rules) .
  7. good lord.. Bill Dickens's playing is absolutely mind blowing.. Coda rocks..

I had heard of him and seen pictures of him with the 9 string, but I had never heard him play
  8. notduane

Nov 24, 2000
    Brendan. Now don't shoot me dude (I'm just the messenger),
    but there's a "blemished" GT-7 at Musician's Friend for
    $740.72 :eek: (normally $999.99). It's available in natural AND
    wine finish. Dunno' what the "blemish" is. Email `em!