1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

darrin huff?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mothmonsterman, Mar 24, 2006.

1. mothmonsterman

mothmonsterman

Feb 8, 2006
    you know the guy who rareley updates his site.
    anyone own or played any of his bass' ? how are they?

should add a link
    http://www.dhuffguitars.com/

2. teacherguy

teacherguy

Feb 21, 2004
    Cincinnati, OH
    I love his work but the lack of updates is due to his 35+ month wait to complete a bass!
    You gotta REALLY want a Huff to wait that long!!

Jon

3. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Brooklyn, NY
    There are so many talented builders that I'd suggest over Darrin. Too many people have waited too long for a bass from him with no word.

Check out Cliff Bordwell and Chris Stambaugh. Those gentlemen will make your dream bass and get it to you in a timely fasion.

Big Shrek likes this.
  4. mark roberts

mark roberts Supporting Member

Nov 13, 2004
    Lawrence, KS
    Good call, Andy. I will ditto your suggestion.

5. west*coast*bass

west*coast*bass Supporting Member

Dec 6, 2003
    Agoura Hills, CA
    35+ months??? Wow, that is truly excessive. I agree that there are many other who can do the job as well and at a better price point.

I have seen Huff's work and it's quite impressive but I would never wait that long.

6. Hman

Hman

Jan 8, 2002
    San Francisco, CA
    Still waiting:meh:

7. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Gold Supporting Member

Ditto.

To be fair, a big part of the long wait was for Darrin to have his dedicated workshop built. His new workshop should allow him to build basses faster than when he was in cramped quarters (his dad's garage, I think).

8. 35months is extremely excessive to me.

On average, how long do you / would you wait for your custom bass?

9. west*coast*bass

west*coast*bass Supporting Member

Dec 6, 2003
    Agoura Hills, CA
    Well, if this is the case and he can service his clients more effectively that can only help his business in the long run.

Look how long it took Carey Nordstrand to finally move into a dedicated shop. Hopefully that will increase his productivity as well.

10. Moreau

Moreau

Jan 3, 2006
    Canada
    ive been waiting 15 months for my carl thompson, and all i can say is that any wait is too long. really. like ive never given out money before for something i wont see for 2 years, so maybe its just first time jitters. we all live the life we choose. if you really want something bad enough, you can wait. but i agree 35 months is long. at least you know the wood is dry haha.

11. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    I don't think I could wait that long for a bass, but that is just me. Darrin's work looks very nice, but I couldn't deal with putting money down and waiting 3 years.

12. dhuffguitars

dhuffguitars Luthier/Bass Wanker depending on your opinion

Sep 18, 2001
    SPOKANE WA
    Hi there, it is me Darrin.

Yes my site is due for an update, long overdue.

And yes I do have customers that have been waiting 3 times longer than what was quoted. I have experienced some problems with building of the new facility that caused problems, and also my wife has some health issues I don't want to discuss on a public forum that has taken time away from my job. If you really need to know her condition please email me at darrin@dhuffguitars.com

I am finishing basses now, and I am almost at 100% again, so please be patient and watch the website for new updates.

By the end of the year my schedule will be back on track. And until then I haven't been taking orders.

Thanks
    Darrin
    darrin@dhuffguitars.com

13. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Brooklyn, NY
    Thanks for chiming in Darrin. I wish you and your family the best and I hope that things are able to get back on track for your business. I'm sure that your product is wonderful.

14. H-
    You had that one planned out at least over a year ago, correct? Wasn't it partially completed as well?
    I really like his work, but it just seems that he doesn't deliver. I'm really thinking that Chris Stambaugh is the way to go for my idea I'm having.

15. Hman

Hman

Jan 8, 2002
    San Francisco, CA

Yes...I hope is almost there...take a look;)
    standard.

16. dhuffguitars

dhuffguitars Luthier/Bass Wanker depending on your opinion

Sep 18, 2001
    SPOKANE WA
    Yes that is the one. I had to put a new neck on it because of a bad truss rod.

And Chris does great work, and if it is anything too custom I would send you to him or Cliff. I am going into a more standardized bass building procedure so I can move these a lot faster. I am spending too much time doing one off's, and the customer is having to wait too long.

17. Hey all
    Just chipping in my .02 here...I've never commissioned Darrin or anyone else to build a bass, but I have cut a deal or two with him over the years and have absolutely no complaints. Great guy, IME.
    And I'm not sure that it's fair to criticize a one-man shop turning out entirely handmade, highly detailed custom instruments for taking that much time...while three years is a long lead time, it's not that far out of line with what other small, custom shops are doing. Look into how long it takes to get a custom Wal built. If you happen to need instant gratification, it might be better buy a used or an off-the-shelf instrument.
    Again, just my .02 -- no disrespect.

18. ah, fresh Dhuff pics are always good :) I've been waiting for a Dhuff for quite some time now. Although the wait has been long, Darrin always replys when I send him an email and answers all questions as best he can. Like I said I've been waiting for a long time but I'm still very sure that it'll be well worth the wait. you know what that famous guy said..... "good things come to those who wait"

K

19. mothmonsterman

mothmonsterman

Feb 8, 2006
    thanks for commenting i love your work.

on side note, who owns one and how do they play?

20. Spector_Ray

Spector_Ray

Aug 8, 2004
    Texas
    I've never had a custom bass built and I don't think I would mind a 3 year wait as long as I'm being updated along the way, especially if it's an awesome handcrafted instrument that will last numerous lifetimes.