Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Darryl Jennifer, Bad Brains!

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by KPO2000, Sep 12, 2002.

1. KPO2000

KPO2000 Supporting Member Supporting Member

Sep 5, 2001
    MA
    Anybody crank the bass up on their Bad Brains albums just to get a better read on what cool things Darryl was doing. Too bad the bass was never high enough in the mix for my tastes....except on their ROIR cassette and some tracks of "I against I".

Darryl was clearly doing some innovative things unheard elsewhere on the harcore/punk scene: chords, massive thomps, and some fast agile picking. I know Soul Brains has been on again off again. Anybody know what Darryl is up to?

Ken

2. Still playing in Bad Brains, although they've changed their name to Soul Brains.

3. KPO2000

KPO2000 Supporting Member Supporting Member

Sep 5, 2001
    MA
    Yeah...but they play so infrequently as far as I can tell. What's his day job, then?

4. Bad Brains are never together long enough to really tour. Sad. I would have loved to see them back in the day.

As for Daryl, he probably does sessions or gigs out side of Bad(Soul) Brains.

5. Jontom

Jontom

Mar 11, 2002
    New York
    Darryl is such a DUDE! "Quickness" has to be my favorite. I had the pleasure of opening for Bad Brains around ten years ago, and they all seemed like pretty nice guys...it was when they had Isreal on vocals. I'm not sure how HR is, but the rest of the band seems cool. Last time I saw Darryl, he was living in Kingston, NY and DR.Know was in nearby Woodstock and they do various incarnations in the local clubs.