Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Darryl Jones bass: Aero vs. Fralin pickups

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by sheepdog, Oct 6, 2005.

1. sheepdog

sheepdog

Feb 20, 2003
    Birmingham, AL
    I have heard the Fralins in person and the Aeros in clips, but not live?

Is there a big difference between the 2 pickups (Aero/Fralin) in the DJ5? I assume both are the regular single coil versions.

2. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    yes, both are single coils. The Aero's have more 'oomph' than the Fralins.
    It's horses for courses, the Fralin equipped Lakland JO sounds great. But they sounded a bit thin in the DJ5 IMO.
    Mike Zimmerman had a Fralin equipped DJ5 and loved it, so it's down to your tastes.

3. sheepdog

sheepdog

Feb 20, 2003
    Birmingham, AL

I know I like the clips of the Aero's Jazz I have heard. Not sure if they sounded "vintage", more like "vintage and then some". Fralins sounded more vintage, but not sure if that is the sound I'm going for. I definatley want it to sound like a Jazz bass, but just a bit more ooomph as you put it. I can always do what some others here tried and run it through a Sadowsky or Aguilar outboard pre when needed. I could get the onboard JRetro, but I really don't like the JRetro (personal opinion, nothing really wrong with the product...)

thanks

4. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    Which I have happily taken possesion of :D , and I think it is fantastic, at least at home through a Cafe Walter and some Sennheiser 555s :bassist:. I'm taking it to a rehersal tonight so we'll see how it meshes with a kit ...

I first had it strung with the Lakland/GHS strings and was underwhlmed, then I threw on a set of fat sounding Sadowsky stainless strings (strung through the bridge) and look out! Fat and balanced with J bass bark and growl for days.

Note that I havn't tried the Aeros. I'll probably be scanning the classifieds for them just to be able to check them out.

Also note that this bass has a rosewood board, a maple one would alter the "recipe" somewhat.

5. Yep, the Fralins do sound very good, but like pickles, I've never tried the Aeros. I went with Fralins based on my "test drive" of a couple of JO5s. They are more vintage than modern to my ears, especially with the rosewood board...

Mike

6. pickles

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    After the rehersal ... I really want to try the aeros now. The bass did sound a tad thin with the full band. I could make up for it at the amp, but I'd always rather have a bass that does it on its own. Great tone otherwise though, that "bark" is so tasty.

7. Pickebass

Pickebass Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2004
    San Antonio, TX
    I have aeros in my 70's jazz bass and they sound great. Full and detailed. Since the DJ is modeled after a 70's bass the sound should be similar.

I also think the Fralins are thin sounding

8. pickles

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    I emailed Dan to ask if he'd sell me a set of Aeros, and he said "sure we can sell you a set for $200, but the sound is very simmilar". :confused: