1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Darryl Jones on his amps

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by anyonefortennis, Mar 25, 2006.

1. anyonefortennis

anyonefortennis Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2005
    Lincoln, NE
    This taken from DJ's bulletin board from the man himself:

"When I started with Miles Davis I used an Ampeg SVT with Hartke repacement speakers(this was before Harke was building their own cabinets).After that I used Hartke 4X10 cabinets an Ashley preamp with several different power amps( Yamaha, QSC,Crown).
    While playing with Sting I heard my bass through Omar Hakim's drum monitor(Meyer Sound) and realized that was the sound I was looking for. I've been using Meyer Sound P.A. equipment in some configuration ever since then.
    I also use Epifani Amps and speakers. My sound has always been based on lots of clean power and Epifani speakers are the only cabs other than the Meyer Sound that handle lots of power with clean,clear reproduction of sound.
    On the present Stones tour I've added a couple of Ampeg SVT amps for a more warm tube sound. Also, because the Meyer rig is a tri-amp system it's imposible to mike in this situation. Tube amps respond differently to the touch than solid state amps(much more sensitive) do so I'm experimenting with that difference now."