1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Darryl Jones - Shine A Light

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by ZonGuy, Sep 6, 2008.

1. ZonGuy

ZonGuy

Sep 2, 2007
    So I rented the new Scorsese film about the Rolling Stones concert and about twenty munutes into the film, I remarked to my wife that yes, the Rolling Stones really do have a bass player, he is just invisible.

If you are listening instead of watching the buffoonery, you will hear Darryl holding it together absolutely rock solid with Chuck Leavell (remember Sea Level) and Charlie watts while the fancy boys with the makeup prance around in the limelight. Gonna have to do a play along with the DVD as Darryl is a master of groove and taste.

Darryl gets about 2 seconds of camera time and I think that's criminal.

I hope they pay Darryl well. Bobby Keys is in the horn section, if anybody remembers him.

2. ZonGuy

ZonGuy

Sep 2, 2007
    Played along with the DVD. Darryl earns his money holding it down.

3. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I love Darryl, but he's not a member of the band. Neither is Chuck. But don't worry...Darryl's making a fortune with the Stones and I'm sure he couldn't care less. Sure, they could have given him more camera time, but he's gotten way more benefit out of being with the Stones than any other gig he's done, so it's all good.

4. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Background singers Blondie Chaplin, Lisa Fischer and Bernard Fowler all have long solo careers that they gladly give up every few years for the Stones gig. I remember Chaplin playing NYC in the 70's. I did notice Darryl using a few different basses for that gig and playing with a pick on some songs.

5. Hoover

Hoover Banned

Nov 2, 2007
    New York City

iirc he's not only paid EXTREMELY well for being a sideman, but he's also on a retainer when he's not touring or recording with the Stones...i.e., he gets a salary or stipend just to be available to play with them. The Munch is definitely not hurting for cash!

And while I agree it would've been nice to see more of him in the film, anyone who goes to see the Stones live can get as much of an eyeful as they want: He's right out there in full view standing next to Charlie, and even moving around slightly more than Bill ever did. Hard to miss.

That guy has had an awesome career, I can't imagine him having any regrets.

6. ZonGuy

ZonGuy

Sep 2, 2007
    Yeah, I don't think Darryl is hurting for money. I just really wish they showed the back up musicans, - vocals,horns, keys as well as bass - a little more face time. They are interesting too. Scorsese's other film "The Last Waltz" was about the music. "Shine a Light" is more about the flash IMHO.

One thing that was humbling was playing along with the DVD and trying to nail the groove. I 'm a pretty good player but the Stones music has a lot of little deceptive nuances when they play it live.

7. pedro

pedro

Apr 5, 2000
    Madison, WI.
    Absolutely but for those of us who are fans of DJ, it would have been nice to have had the chance to see him in action.

8. Tell me about it.

What's a hired bass make touring with a gig like the Stones?

9. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    I have no idea, but between it and all the other stuff he gets out of being with them, I'd say low to mid 7 figures.

10. ZonGuy

ZonGuy

Sep 2, 2007
    The DVD has bonus songs and a featurette that is rather charming and down to earth and features the other players including a brief solo by Darryl. The feturette is much better than the movie, IMHO.

11. E2daGGurl

E2daGGurl

May 26, 2008
    SoCal
    I am sorry to hear that about the new documentary. Very sorry to hear it.

I don't trust Scorsese - he is not someone I think really understands music, just my completely unsubstantiated opinion. He understands what other people like and then tries to figure it out from his non-musical, visual point of view.

That, plus, even in concert, I think they make sure Darryl doesn't get the spotlight. Sort of like Jimmy Page and John Paul Jones.

12. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.

6 figures.

13. E2daGGurl

E2daGGurl

May 26, 2008
    SoCal
    Low six figures, mid six figures or high six figures? I'm guessing either low or mid.

Do they pay their own costs, like most musicians/wrestlers/circus performers or is that on top of costs?

14. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    I wont put Darryl's business out but it is in the very very comfortable 6 figures.

No.

15. Deluge Of Sound

Deluge Of Sound Banned

Nov 8, 2007
    Maine/Vermont
    I'm going to call you out on this one. If there's one director alive today who understands the power of music, it's Martin Scorsese.

16. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Anyone who says Scorsese doesn't understand music never saw The Last Waltz. He focused on the Stones themselves because they're the story, not Darryl Jones and Chuck Leavell. That's just the way it is. Darryl Jones and Chuck Leavell don't sell out stadiums. The Rollng Stones do.

I gotta admit I thought Darryl would be doing a little better than that by now, though. He's been with them 10 years. OTOH, he's certainly not getting ripped off. That's good money no matter who you are.

17. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Ronnie Wood was in the band for decades before they made him a full band member, he was just on salary.

18. pedro

pedro

Apr 5, 2000
    Madison, WI.
    Thats right Jimmy. There's a scene in the Sting documentary in which Sting's manager (Copeland) is talking about how some of the guys in the band feel that they should have more of what's on the table. To which Copeland says 'But it's Sting's table. And if ____ or ____ don't show up for the gig, nobody is going ask for their money back. But if Sting doesn't show up...' Well you get the point.

19. E2daGGurl

E2daGGurl

May 26, 2008
    SoCal
    Then, that's pret' darn good and makes me feel better for Darryl. Perhaps he doesn't want to jump around and "act like a buffoon."

He's one of my very favorite bass players. Now that the Stones are (purportedly) not touring any more, I'm hoping Darryl will do some interesting things in jazz (and rock, too of course).

He started off with a Hofner Beatles copy, his bio says. He's played with some fine jazz pianists and guitarists. I think one of the reasons he's just so fine is that he played both electric and stand-up early.

Apparently he's been touring in Italy and writes in his blog, no American gigs so far. Sure do wish him luck!

20. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.