Darryl Jones vs. Joe Osborn vs. Marcus Miller vs. any Lakland Model

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by FunkyLemz, Dec 21, 2005.

1. FunkyLemz

Oct 17, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA
    Opinions/Comparisons? Very vague I know, but Im looking for an all around great tone on a bass. I really dig the Miller, but havent tried any of the others.
  2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I think that Marcus would win in a fight between the three. Maybe in 1965 Joe Osborn would have won because Darryl and Marcus were children back then, but Joe's getting up there in years now, so I think with Darryl being somewhat short, Marcus clearly has a reach advantage and would open up a can on the both of them.
  3. Marcus would stomp them out. Again, I'm a little bias and all though...

In all sincerity, try the Darryl Jones. I've owned an MM4, and I found the preamp to be troublesome.
  4. Larry99

Larry99 Supporting Member

Aug 17, 2005
    Philadelphia, PA
    lol! ..good one.

I just picked up a Skyline Joe Osborne 5 so that's all I can go by but here's how I understand it:

For the JO think vintage 60s. It comes with single coil Fralin pups and passive elex which are very hot with great hi's and mids. The bass I picked up has an active Sadowsky pre w/VTC installed so it really takes it to another level in versatility.

For the DJ think vintage 70s. I've heard that the DJ has really great sounding single coil Aero pup with super mids; all passive but I think you can get a J-retro pre installed as an option too. I believe the body is a little slicker than the JO and it obviously only comes with the block inlays on the fretboard so the look is a bit different from the JO.

The MM is made by Fender so although it's a jazz, it's a different animal altogether in comparison to the Laklands. Not sure what's in it but I believe they were also going for that vintage 70s jazz sound. Laklands have the string thru body at the bridge so the the Marcus won't have that.

You might want to look at a Lakland 44-94 (or a 44-02 skyline) or their 5 string versions as I think they are the most versatile of all, sort of a hybrid of Music Man/Jazz with active Bartolini pups/electonics. I was looking at a 55-02 before I came across my JO5, which was too good to pass up.

I think they're all great bases. It'll just come down to your preference.
  5. djcruse

Jun 3, 2002
    Norwood, MA
    Much of what's been said regarding vintage vs. modern tone is fairly accurate, IMO.

I should mention that with the Osborn and Jones you get far more colors and options available. Don't know if that's important to you.
  6. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    For an all-around great tone, I'd take a look at the 44-02/55-02, depending on whether or not you want a 5'er. I love the way the Marcus plays, and it has killer slap tone, but I've never been impressed with its fingerstyle sound without upgrading the preamp. That, and Laklands are wonderfully made.
  7. Groundloop

Jun 21, 2005
    Never played a Marcus (frankly, the look doesn't do it for me. A little too Dr. Frankenstein) or a DJ, but I have played a JO5 and own a 55-02. For my purposes I find the 55-02 to be very versatile, to the point that I rarely touch the tone controls on the bass, and do most of my tweaking with the pup selector switch and the blend knob. I also find the bass to be very responsive to how and where I pluck the strings.

The JO5 had the same playability as my 55-02, but was less versatile, but maybe had a more distinctive voice. It's hard to make that kind of comparison since I've had the 55-02 for 3 years and have played it in a band setting, and the JO5 I played for less than an hour, in the shop, through a much more hi-fi rig than I own. But if I was to get one, I'd probably put Labella tapewounds on it. It just screams old school.

DJ5. Black + rosewood board + MOP blocks = Sexy. Me want. With a J-Retro.

Are we getting the impression I like Laklands? :D
  8. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    My Lakland experience is quite limited to Dale Cruse's basses. Therefore, I'll side with my very own Marcus Miller. ;)