Darryl Jones

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Futurebass, Sep 8, 2005.

1. Futurebass

Jun 22, 2005
    Saw the Stones the other day. I had the best seats and the mix was crystal clear. Except for the bass. Jones switched basses all night long but needn't have bothered because there was no difference in tone between them. Maybe this is a retro 60's mix they are aiming for but it was sad. From what I could hear he sounded better than on previous tours, but he's still no Bill Wyman. Just goes to show that technique is not everything.
  2. I have nothing against Bill Wyman, but I can't believe anybody would say he's better than Daryl Jones.
    But hey, everybody has an opinion that's why I posted mine. And music isn't supposed to be a competition.
  3. Futurebass

Jun 22, 2005
    He may not be a better musician or bass player, but he sure sounds better in the Stones.
  4. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I agree. There was a certain push-pull dynamic that Charile Watts and Bill Wyman had...sort of like Keith led the rhythm, Charlie followed Keith and Bill was unsure if he should follow Keith or Charlie so he'd bounce around between the two. Darryl, while being a genius bassist, hasn't caught on to that dynamic yet, I don't think. Sometimes it sounds like he has on the old stuff, but on the new stuff that he wrote the basslines for, I just don't hear that dynamic.
  5. Futurebass

Jun 22, 2005
    Yeah, there may be tons of "better bassplayers", many of whom live in their mothers' basements.

It just makes me wonder what the definition of good bass playing is. How can people criticize the likes of Paul McCartney or Bill Wyman when they have played on more great songs than anyone else? They must be great or the Stones and Beatles wouldn't have their legacies.

If great bass playing means who can wank faster or louder, then give me ****ty bass playing any day.

This comes from someone who has much more technique than Paul or Bill. But I'd rather have been at their gigs and sessions.
  6. Futurebass

Jun 22, 2005
    Saw them again tonight. Darryl was playing so fast that none of the notes had any space to settle into the groove. But on the other hand he didn't disrupt the groove. Luckily Charlie Watts is running the show.
  7. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I'm just a casual Stones fan, but I have to think that Daryl Jones is doing something right since the Stones have kept them around so long.
  8. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Be sure that Daryl Jones is playing a 'role' with the Stones. Surely he's not using his best chops and his sound is tailored in the mix the way they probably want it to sound. It's a shame he's just a hired hand and can't get on the cover of any of their cd's! I hope he's being paid well?!
  9. Futurebass

Jun 22, 2005
    Keith wanted to hire Joey Spampinato from NRBQ. Charlie put his foot down and said he wanted Daryl because Charlie is a jazz buff and considered Daryl the best available choice from that standpoint.

People, read my first post. I was complaining about the mix, not Daryl. Sure he's a great player.

Nevertheless Wyman's playing had a bizarre slant that is preferable in the Stones.
  10. I'm sorry. I'm just a big Darryl fan from before he was in the Stones. I felt like I had to stick up for the man.
    "Miss You" is a pretty cool bass line and Bill even played some slap on the Steel Wheels stuff.
  11. does Darryl Jones play all the bass on all the tracks on the new album?

Bill Wyman has said a few times that he was frustrated with Keef or Ron Wood putting the bass down when he was out of the studio.