Database with instrument / owner informations !

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Deep4, Jun 16, 2002.

1. Deep4

Jun 15, 2002

I have an idea : Why not building up a database with informations about instruments and owners ? The reason is, many instruments are stolen and since only few people register their instruments at the manufacturers, it would be very helpful to compile informations in a manufacturer-independent database. So it´s possible to inform yourself if a bass is stolen, ask former owners about this bass etc.

Informations needed would be :

Instrument :

- Manufacturer
    - Model
    - Serial number
    - Color
    - Neck
    - Special things (mods etc.)

Owner :

- Name
    - Adress
    - Date when bought
    - Bought from / at... (dealer location ?)
    - current state (still owning / stolen etc.)

But the database would not be for public access, of course. I know there are a lot of risks when doing things like that.

My solution would be like that :

- The informations about the instruments are visible for everyone, but there is no connection to the owners.

- Informations about the owner will only be given when contacting me (or the person running the database) via mail. Then I will contact the owner and ask for his permission to give away the informations or the owner can get in contact with the other person by himself.

- Plus some security features, like : Only people with VALID email-addresses (no hotmail, gmx etc.) can submit or get informations. With the email-address it´s possible to get the person behind it when necessary.

Plus some things more.

This database should only be used in case of stolen or lost instruments etc. No exceptions !

I really think it can be done if people are willing to contribute their data.

What do you think ? Any ideas on that ?

I would run this on my website
    Vintage Bass

Please tell me what you think !

2. Sure !

Lets tell the whole world i own a 1965 Fender jazzbass in rare condition.. that way the burglars won't have to search the whole block, they can just come to my adress and nick it from me

cool idea !

3. Deep4

Jun 15, 2002
    I never said that there should be public access to the database...It must be made sure that misuse (? I´m german...) would be impossible.

4. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Making misuse impossible is very, very hard. You'd have to make sure the administrator had zero interest for starters.

What AllodoX said in is own way was true. It wouldn't take much to put two and two together. Actually without a database it wouldn't be that hard to figure out where I live and by using TB you'd have an idea of what I have here. Thank goodness I still have the penguin for security;). Others aren't so lucky.
  5. Deep4

Jun 15, 2002

I know. I just added some things to the initial post. At the moment it´s just an idea, and there is a lot of work before starting a project like this. But that´s the reason why I´m posting this idea in several forums. I think it could be a good thing to build up such a database, and I want to minimize the risk.

6. gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Yep, at this point I'd be reluctant to participate due to the security issue. I have a home security system, but many others don't. We'll be following this idea closely as you work-out the kinks.

The intentions are great, and it's a good idea though.
  7. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Agreed... it is a good idea. It's the details that make it tough.

There was a thread here where people were asked to post pics of their houses. Innocent enough... and when I started to do it when I thought, geez, I have my name and city in my sign in, putting up a picture of the house (with house number) would be about as bright as giving people the penguin's work schedule and telling them that I hide the key under the troll.

8. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I nicked the penguin and I am holding him for ransom.

Your Roscoe 7 will do nicely.
  9. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
  10. Alembic has a database on all their basses which is updated through someone purchasing a bass. Updated with a new purchase and used purchase if the new owner wants to contact them. They know which ones are stolen, etc... One can go to the website to see all the stolen ones.

I have not worried much about someone knowing I have an Alembic. Seems like a very good idea to me, though I don't see much need of my information being duplicated in another database.