Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Date of manufacture for Peavey Cabinet?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by I.M. Fletcher, Feb 20, 2004.

1. I.M. Fletcher

I.M. Fletcher

Feb 18, 2004
    Maryland
    Does anyone know how to find out when a Peavey Cabinet was made? I was given a 2x15 bass cabinet. It looks pretty old. I have the serial number. Peavey's website doesn't help, or I just can't find it on there.

2. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    You can contact Peavey's customer service...they should be able to help.

Or, if the speakers are original, take one out and look for the date code stamped on the magnet. If it doesn't have any special Peavey loudspeakers (Scorpions, Black Widows, etc.) they're probably made by Eminence and will have a date code in the from of 67-YYWW or
    67 YYWW where YY is the last two digits of the year and WW is the number of the week (01-52). The cabinet will be no older than the speakers inside of it.

If it's a tolex covered 2x15 with aluminum stripes running up the side it's probably from the '70s...

3. I.M. Fletcher

I.M. Fletcher

Feb 18, 2004
    Maryland
    Thanks. I'll try to contact them. I hope I don't ruin anything by trying to access the speakers.

4. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Peavey has always been quick to respond to my questions. To avoid the carnage inflicted by a stray screwdriver, I'd write to them then sit tight. You'll have an answer in some form before too long.