Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Date pointers?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by jrthebassguy, May 22, 2004.

1. Oh crap, I've got a date! This will make for my first real date, which involves going to a very nice restuant (which I dread paying for) and then going to a movie (most unoriginal idea for a date, but hey she decided that). I've had girlfriends in the past, but have never had a real date. And I really like this girl, so I'm pretty friggin nervous.

So, any ideas on how to not screw up? I know the basics (don't cheesily put your arm around her in the theatre and etc.)

Also, what are some subjects for me to bring up? Awkward silence = kills dates

And if the girl offers to pay her way, do you go ahead and pay for her? I don't want to force her to pay but I don't want to offend her if I go ahead and pay for her half (I know some girls who feel that way).

I feel like this right now: :) :hyper: :D :confused: :bag: :eyebrow: :oops:

2. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    - first mistake, dont be nervous. nervous = unattractive.

(having said that on my first date with my current g/f i threw a JD+coke all over her i was so nervous)

- secondly offer to pay, but if she offers say again "ill pay" and then if shees still insistant go 1/2ves. just play it by ear.

- how did you meet her? talk about common friends and stuff.

^^leet advice from emo-ist of emo kids ^^

3. also, the date is tonight, so please respond before 5:30 central standard time :)

4. She listens to alot of emo, so maybe your advice will work best :p

5. bassturtle

bassturtle

Apr 9, 2004
    First of all, take a deep breath. What's the worst that can happen? She'll laugh at you and think you're a loser...no biggie...I'm sure you've been through worse situations than that. As for the paying thing - play it by ear. If it were me, I would insist on paying for it.

Biggest thing: BE YOURSELF! You are in a positition to make yourself ANYTHING you want to be on a first date. You can puff yourself up to be some overly sensitive, understanding, compassionate man, but if you're not any of these things then don't pretend to be...make sense? You can't keep up an act forever. So, if you're an overbearing, jealous, arse then be that way...at least you're being honest with her (don't expect her to stick around too long if you are these things tho). :meh: She has to like you for YOU...not for someone you've led her to believe you are.

Good luck man. Be sure to let us all know how it goes tonight!

We need to get some of the tb ladies to post on here...help this guy out girls!

6. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    Whatever you do, do not shower her with praise and compliments.

Find something to tease her about... Whether it be shoes, ear rings, or anything.

Don't be mean about it, just playful jests, you know? If she says something like "You're a funny guy..." Calmy say something to the tune of "Well, looks aren't everything."

You have to be cocky. You have to be funny.

All women ever get is the "nice guy" routine. What you need to do is mix the jerk with the nice guy... Trust me. It works wonders.

7. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Whatever you do, DO NOT oil your chest and show up with an open jacket with no shirt! That didn't get the results that I had anticipated! Besides, I had an awkward landing after being tossed from her house. Her dad was stronger than he looked! :D

Seriously, you'll be fine. A little, not a lot, but a little self depreciating humor goes a LONG way. Let's her know that you're confident, but not stuck on yourself. ;) Good luck.

8. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    The only thing I wil say is Good luck! - i wont give you any advice since it has never worked out for me :bawl:

9. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Study what this man has said -

[​IMG]

"First of all, you never let on how much you like a girl. "Oh, Debbie. Hi." Two, you always call the shots. "Kiss me. You won't regret it." Now three, act like wherever you are, that's the place to be. "Isn't this great?" Four, when ordering food, you find out what she wants, then order for the both of you. It's a classy move. "Now, the lady will have the linguini and white clam sauce, and a Coke with no ice." And five, now this is the most important, when it comes down to making out, whenever possible, put on side one of Led Zeppelin IV.

10. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    I'll have... big thumbs up to that. Between his and Lloyd Dobler's coaching, I was never lonely in HS and beyond :smug:

[​IMG]

11. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    Sold! i know it always worked for me.

12. Funkize you

Funkize you Guest

Nov 4, 2003
    Westminster Ca.
    From American Pie

aww I cant say it, Ill be BANNED!!

13. Eyescream

Eyescream

Feb 4, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    I'm not sure how old you are, so this may not be an option anyway; but it's worth noting:

Don't, under any circumstances, get drunk and make a fool of yourself.

14. alright, first u need a good pick-up line like these:
    ------------------------------------------------

I'm new in town. Could you give me directions to your apartment?

Did it hurt? Woman: Did what hurt? When you fell out of heaven?

You must be a hell of a thief 'cause you stole my heart from across the room.

Baby, if you were words on a page, you'd be what they call FINE PRINT!

Is that a keg in your pants? 'Cause I'd love to tap that ass.

:)

15. Mention that you play bass. A lot. Chicks dig bass players ;)

Naah, just kidding. Just talk about stuff you have in common should be easy (what music do you like,...). But what seems a bit odd: I'd go to the movie first. At least you can bring it up when conversation dies when you are at the restaurant.

Anyway, I wouldn't listen to anyone here (knowing my luck with girls, I'd just skip this text). Just do what feels right.

How old are you by the way?

And DO tell us how it went over. :p

16. Frank Martin

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    :smug:
    :rolleyes:
    :rollno: :rollno:
    (at least now I can make use of these new smilies! :D :cool: )

typical bad macho pick-up lines that some women cant stand - but some others fall for it. I still dont like this method...

17. Frank Martin

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    They would ask me "Whats that?" :rolleyes:
    And people, please, use the View Public Profile button! :rolleyes: ;)

18. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan

No. That is the worst idea ever. Women get that crap all the time.

19. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Women really like it when you truly listen to what they are saying and seem interested. Just remember just be you and DONT CHANGE, let her like for the person you are not someone she wants you to be. And remember have a good time. :)

20. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Here's my advice: NEVER ask for dating advice from a bunch of bass players. What do we know about women? Most of us trip over ourselves hitting on BrokenAngel, for crying out loud. :rollno:

I would also suggest wrapping up a cucumber in foil and stuff it in your pants right before the date. It works for Derek, and it can work for you too.