Date this 800RB?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by tplyons, May 12, 2005.

1. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Just scored it on eBay, great price on an older model 800RB.

Could anyone provide an approximiate date of this and tell me if the current 800RB rack ears will fit it?

2. Jerry Ziarko

Jerry Ziarko Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    I would, but I'm in a commited relationship with my 1001RBII.
    Sorry!!! :D
  3. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
  4. Rat

Mar 15, 2005
    Boston Sewers

too funny!!! check the stickers on the back of the amp!!

the new rack ears should work, the design of the amp is still the same ..
  5. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Well I do know they changed the faceplate around a bit, no biggie. However, I don't have the amp in my posession yet. I can date it from the serial when it gets here, just looking to see if anyone could put an approximate era on the amp from the faceplate.
  6. Looks like the older face plate to me, I know they started making them in the early 80's (or so)
  7. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    That faceplate is identical to the one I purchased new in 1986. Those amps are workhorses, never fail, EVER . . . unless you run the high-amp end on less than 8 ohms, which lots of people have done.
  8. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    I found one of these a few months back at a pawnshop. They had it tagged as a home stereo amp. I thing I paid ~$125 for it.
  9. Actually the one I had was blown up when I got it. When I took the cover off there was literally a hole blown in the circuit board and semiconductor residue all over the inside of the amp. Someone must have been running the 300W side at two ohms or something.

Tightest bass amp I ever played though. But the rest of the tone was too one dimensional for me.
  10. +17.3556 (out of a possible 10)
  11. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Okay guys, the serial is 88479, so am I safe to assume it's a 1988 model?

But the bad news is I don't think I'm going to keep it, I bought it as a deal I couldn't refuse, but my 400RB-III does the trick so far.
  12. ashbory

Jun 13, 2000
    The Hammer
    Mine has a date sticker just below the serial number (near the power input): 4-83
    The front looks identical to the one in the photo.
  13. More power- Effectively the same amp though. I'd go the RB800 and keep the RB400 as a spare...

14. danomite64

Nov 16, 2004
    Tampa, Florida
    I had an '89 one that had a date stamped on the backside of the face plate.