Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Date/Value of vintage P-Bass I played last night

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by PolkaHero, Jan 30, 2005.

1. PolkaHero

PolkaHero Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2002
    Michigan
    Last night my fellow bandmate brought his Dad's vintage Fender Precision to our gig. I'm trying to pinpoint the year which is a little difficult as the serial number has been sanded off of the headstock (I think his Dad bought it from a pawnshop; probably stolen). I've narrowed it down to a late 70s model as it has the thumbrest on the E-string(1974) side as well as the original serial number being on the headstock(1976). It has both the bridge and pickup covers, a four or five ply black pickguard, and black plastic control knobs. I'm not sure if the knobs are stock. Also, I do believe this Precision has the "A" neck as the neck width at the nut looks very narrow like a Jazz Bass. It does have the typical "baseball bat" feel though due to the thick profile.

Any ideas on what exact year this bass is and how much it would be worth? It seems all original except for possibly the control knobs and the serial number is sanded off. Otherwise it's in great shape.

2. Unbolt the neck and look in the neck pocket for a serial number and/or date....

and having had the serial number sanded off has tremendously reduced its value, IMHO.

3. PolkaHero

PolkaHero Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2002
    Michigan
    Any idea on the value? It's in excellent condition except for the serial number missing.

4. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    A mid-late 70s P, all original and VG-EXC shape with case would be worth about $1500 today, but prices are always on the rise.

No the knobs are not original; they should be chrome. It's not going to cause much difference in the value the way swapped pickups or bridge would.

The missing serial number matters very little if the neck and body stamps are still there.