Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Dated Designs

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Peter Squire, Jul 18, 2005.

1. Hey

The P and J design, along with ones like the Ric's seem to have a timeless beauty to them. But which basses do you think have not dated well?

Me:

Those old Steinbergers and Kubicki X-Factor look sooooo 80's :D

What say you?

2. RBrownBass

RBrownBass Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2004
    Ibanez Soundgear.

Those old Jacksons (with the huge neck and the angled, inline headstock). Also see: Kramer, ESP, and any of those 80s body shapes with the edges left (pretty much) unradiused.

That mini-scale Stuart Hamm Signature bass (post- Kubicki).

P/J basses. That's probably just me, but I never got into those at all. If I want a P sound, I use a P-bass. A J sound, a J-bass.

Bass tremolos and scalloped fingerboards.

Ibanez Soundgear.

Five string basses with spacing too narrow to play properly.

Vantage set-neck basses (but I still want one, very much)

Rics. <ducks>

Body binding for solid basses.

Black hardware on painted basses (see Jackson, Kramer above).

Sharkfin inlays.

Oh, and Ibanez Soundgear.

There was a time when I would have included maple boards, but it seems they've made a comeback, what with a lot of the Fender-style builders using them.

3. LajoieT

LajoieT I won't let your shadow be my shade...

Oct 7, 2003
    Western Massachusetts
    Charvel/Jackson's, and any basic P-Bass shaped bass with airbrush graphics (Chicks, Snakeskin, Cemetaries, Harleys, etc.).

Almost anything with an inline pointy angled headstock (Especially if it's reversed with the tuners hanging off the bottom) B.C.Rich Warlocks & Ironbirds (NOT the Bitches and Mockingbirds, those are ALWAYS cool)

Those Rudy Sarzo Signatures (forget who made them) with the black and white pattern.

There are probably more that I can't think of right now.

4. paintandsk8

paintandsk8 Pushin' my soul through the wire...

May 12, 2003
    West Lafayette, IN
    I'm gonna have to argue those. Binding and black hardware are dead sexy.

Case and point: Binding

[​IMG]

Case and Point: black hardware
    [​IMG]

5. LajoieT

LajoieT I won't let your shadow be my shade...

Oct 7, 2003
    Western Massachusetts
    I think he meant binding on basses painted a solid color. Like a bright green bass with pink binding.

I'll have to agree with you there, Nothing with black hardware is ever outdated IMO

6. Just my very humble opinion, but I'm starting to think that the Spector/Warwicks are looking a bit dated...... :bag:

7. TheEmptyCell

TheEmptyCell Bearded Dingwall Enthusiast

Jul 16, 2005
    Syracuse, NY
    Kubicki's, and some of the Status headless' look a bit dated to me.

As do most BC Rich basses.

And most basses with a pointed headstock. Take my Washburn for example....

[​IMG]

8. Please add Red Bull to your Gear List!!!!!
    Cool bass!!

9. TheEmptyCell

TheEmptyCell Bearded Dingwall Enthusiast

Jul 16, 2005
    Syracuse, NY
    Hey, thanks. I get more comments on the Red Bull cans in my pics than I do for the basses! :rolleyes: But yeah, I got that bass in pieces, stripped of finish, so I sanded, primed, painted, defretted and polyurethaned it. The headstock bugs me, cuz I needed to buy new strings as there is a long distance to the D and G compared to my 6. The headstock screams 80's, which bugs me, cuz it's otherwise a decent bass.

10. Snarf

Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    Gawdy painted scenes on instruments look lame.

Rics do nothing for me, very 60's.

Epiphone SG basses.

Steinbergers.

Definitely anything BC Rich. I've always HATED those instruments.

11. Rocinante_x1

Rocinante_x1 Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2004
    Washington State
    Geddy Lee. 1985ish with the Power Windows Album.

*nods Head*

---Rocinante_x1

12. Fixed it for you! ;)

13. paintandsk8

paintandsk8 Pushin' my soul through the wire...

May 12, 2003
    West Lafayette, IN

Oh, I thought he just meant solid bodied basses. Either way, I still think binding is great.

14. L-1329

L-1329

Aug 8, 2004
    Fender basses absolutely bore me to tears to look at. Timeless??? Yeah right! Outdated is more like it. Do you all also think that the model T Ford is still the best looking car? of course not. Time moves on, and there are much better looking basses around these days. I know no one wants to admit that but we all know it's the truth. ;)

15. Which is why Sadowsky, Lull, MTD, Lakland etc are so very very popular, hmmm? :rolleyes:

16. MCT

MCT

Apr 11, 2005
    The Fender look is very much timeless. I think three tone sunburst stingrays with a maple fret board look dated, but in a good way.

17. RBrownBass

RBrownBass Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2004
    You've found a couple of exceptions to the rule. The 5-string looks great, as does the Valenti. Even so, I'd rather see chrome hardware on any Fender-style instrument (especially one with a pickguard), and I still think a nice rounded edge on that figured-top bass would look nicer than the binding. Binding, IMO, looks like the builder tried to incorporate (unnecessary) acoustic aesthetics into a solidbody design. It works for this bass, I'll admit, but I haven't seen many others that do.

18. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    Double basses....sheesh...would you get over that design already.

19. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    Fender's.

Just MO.