1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Dating a 800RB

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by 68Goldfish, Mar 28, 2009.

1. 68Goldfish

68Goldfish Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2006
    Port Orchard WA
    I've seached TB and the net and can't find any info on dating a GK 800RB. I've heard that you can use the serial numbers for dating purposes. The only thing I know is that mine has the vertical power switch which makes it a newer unit (I guess) but it also has two 1/4 jacks for the 100 watt section which I guess is a earlier thing. I'm confused. :meh:

2. zagnut

zagnut

Jan 4, 2009
    Back in Detroit
    Me too. What do you mean by "dating"?

3. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    Just buy it some flowers and tell it that it's beautiful. The GK 800RB is easy... :p

MM

4. RTL

RTL House Chicken Enthusiast

Jul 20, 2008
    Leander, TX
    Just make sure it has a serial number lower than 032891 and you're good to go. :smug:

5. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    Puts out too from what I've experienced! :eek:

6. Dan Knowlton

Dan Knowlton Sometimes you're the dog, sometimes the tree Supporting Member

Aug 12, 2002
    Palm Coast, FL
    Bring flowers, a good bottle of wine... nice dinner... You WON'T regret it!

Dan K.

7. Marry it.

8. 68Goldfish

68Goldfish Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2006
    Port Orchard WA
    OK wiseguys! :) Let me rephrase the question.....How can you tell the date of manufacture.
    RTL, why do you say that?

Oh, and as far as I can tell so far it definetelly puts out! And I'm allready married to my svt, the 800rb is just a little something on the side. ;)

9. zagnut

zagnut

Jan 4, 2009
    Back in Detroit
    DOH! Facepalm. :bag:

10. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    Dept. of Health?

11. all kidding aside, go to www.gallienkrueger.com go to the forum and ask one of the GK long in the tooth guys, probably a guy named BString, or a guy named Pocket Burner can help you. there is also a G.K. design tech, that checks the forums there. Go to the site, then community, then message boards, then tech tips&tricks.

12. Easiest is to email jason@gallien.com or brian@gallien.com There is a break point where the manufacture date is easy to determine but these guys can cover your question if it does not fall into that cut date. (Long in the tooth B-string from G-K user board) ;)

13. chadds

chadds

Mar 18, 2000
    Asking it's age is uncomfortable but apparently very necessary for you.

14. shoot-r

shoot-r

May 26, 2007
    Illinois
    On the older G.K.'s....I was always told....
    On the back...
    Left side....
    Bottom.
    There's some numbers, that's the date of manufacture.
    Mine says, 1-84

15. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    Lots of electronic components have a date code that is four digits for week and year. This includes IC's. One can nail down date of manufacture to within a year or two by finding several date codes that are consistent with one another.

16. That's very useful....mine is 3-87

17. Bassgrinder77

Bassgrinder77 Banned

Jan 23, 2009
    Argh! You beat me to the punch on the smart-alec comment.

18. just out of curiousity (I was just given a 800rb from my gf dad who is getting a divorce
    ) and the outputs don't work. I am having it repaired and have it boxed up with an RA number but found this post. What is important about the date? is there is a problem wth older units as oppsed to newer units.

Tell me the story!!

19. JanusZarate

JanusZarate Low End Avenger Gold Supporting Member

Feb 21, 2006
    Petaluma, CA, USA
    No real problems I'm aware of. Some say the older ones sound better, but the reality is that the 800RB is the only amp GK makes where they've gone above and beyond to build the new ones as closely as possible to the old ones (the differences being due to parts availability).

Other than that and the switch re-orientation, they're the same.

Also, to answer 68 Goldfish's question about the output jacks: they never changed them. No 800RB - new or old - has ever had Speakon jacks. They've always used 1/4" jacks on those. Their other current-production heads are different - almost all of them have Speakon jacks, save for a few models like the MB150 heads.

20. eots

eots

Dec 18, 2004
    Cornell , IL.
    I think the 'newer' ones only had one 100 watt jack but the older ones used 2. both versions still had two 300 watt jacks.