1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Dating a Ampeg 810 Classic cab

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Randyt, Jan 10, 2012.

1. Randyt

Randyt RAAPT Custom Wood Productions

Jul 21, 2010
    Barrie, Canada
    Curious to know if there is a way to date an Ampeg 810 Classic Cab?...The existing owner has no idea the year it was made in.
    And from what I understand therre is more desireable years to own...correct me if Im wrong...(memory is going)...96-2002 speakers/cab can sound very dark...not the most wanted cab..if you have any info...it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Randy

2. dinner and a movie.

wigdor likes this.
  3. I would recommend showing up at her house with a pick-up truck when you pick her up, otherwise you two may be walking to the restaurant and movie theatre. :p

...otherwise though, if you can read the serial number on the back, compare it to the info on the link posted above, and you'll be in business, might even get a second date if all goes well! :bag:

4. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2007
    boston, ma
  5. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    The bad years for dark sounding cabs is 2000-2007, which is when LOUD moved production overseas. The overseas cabs are a lot brighter and better sounding IMHO.

6. Randyt

Jul 21, 2010
    Barrie, Canada
    Here is the serial number of the 810 Im looking at buying...Im assuming its a 2003, if I followed the format correctly....Havent heard it ..but thinking on passing on this cab

BQWDP50099

7. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    2003...pass.

8. gwangi

gwangi Supporting Member

Jul 4, 2009
    Forbidden Valley
    Hey JimmyM,

Since you are Ampeg Endorse are the oversea Ampeg 810 cabinets made out of solid wood of some kind or is it that type of particle board material that Ampeg was using before they went over to China.
    Thanks in advance,
    Gwangi

9. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    All overseas Ampeg cabs are made with plywood, and they're made with better sounding speakers.

10. John D

John D Guest

Dec 27, 2009
    Jimmy,

I have an SVT410HE, SN ECZDT5XXXX. The jack plate is stamped, "Manufactured in Vietnam".

If I understand the SN coding, the D means made for the USA market, the T is for the year 2007, and the 5 if for the month of May.

There are a couple of tears in the tolex, and it appears that the cabinet is made of plywood.

Does all of this sound correct to you, and would this cab have the darker or brighter speakers?

John

Edit: My question/confusion is based on the statement, "The bad years for dark sounding cabs is 2000-2007, which is when LOUD moved production overseas." Apparently, my cab was among the first made in Vietnam.

11. bassramos

bassramos

Feb 13, 2006
    Chicago North
    I think you just have to be yourself. In general you don't own a date. Anyways, I don't know why you want to date her if she's so undesirable.

12. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    The 5 after the T means it was made in May 2007. You have one of the good cabs with the brighter speakers. All the Ampeg cabs made overseas use Eminence China speakers and not the dark American speakers. However, the American made Heritage cabs use greatly improved American Eminence speakers, and not the old American speakers SLM used.

13. Randyt

Jul 21, 2010
    Barrie, Canada
    Jimmy...the cab in question is a 2003 and in decent shape...hes asking 700 can. funds...probably get him down to $600...worth it?...or still pass? going to hook this up to my Mesa M6 Carbine

Thanks

14. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Boy, that's a lot of money for a used 810 when I see them going for $350-500 south of the border (your border, not mine) on a regular basis. Back when the Canadian dollar wasn't as strong, maybe I'd have thought it was a decent deal, but now, not so much. Plus I can't get over the use of OSB and the dark speakers.