dating a fender bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by driver11, Dec 30, 2002.

1. driver11

Nov 28, 2002
    alright, i've been on two forums trying to find out the date of a bass i'm thinking of selling...harmony-central seems to be inconclusive, and the fender forum seems to say '85-'86...i found two sites, so i'm asking for your help because i need to be 100% sure because i'm probably selling it...
    it is a mij '75 reissue jazz bass. all the info is on the headstock; starting left to right it has the fender logo with the s/n underneath it. moving over it says "jazz bass" with "made in japan" underneath it. the s/n is A0177xx.
  2. obligatory "lol buy it flowers lol" response
  3. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    Dammit, DHC -- you beat me to it!

Actually, I was going to say something like, "I dated a Fender once, but it was hard -- its parents always wanted it home before 10 o'clock."
  4. dmaki

Apr 29, 2000
    First of all, take it out to dinner... :rolleyes: sorry.

If memory serves me correct, I believe the MIJ '75 reissues were from the mid-to-late '80s. I once saw a site that had instructions on how to accurately date a Fender, but that was a long time ago and I have no idea what the URL is...

Hope somebody can help you out more
  5. driver11

Nov 28, 2002
  6. No help here either?
    you already got your answer.
  7. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    Did you try calling your local Fender dealer and asking if they can tell you when the bass was made, based on the serial number?

I just reviewed mine -- it's a MIM that I bought new in 1995. The serial number is MN623069. There are no fives in the number, but there are some sixes, so I'm thinking maybe my bass is a '96 model year. Hey, it's the best I can come up with.

EDIT: After clicking your link, driver11, it appears that my theory is somewhat correct (at least it is in my mind). Based on that website, yours looks like an '85 - '86 model, which you seem to have already deduced for yourself.
  8. Can you post some pics? I had one of those MIJ 75 Jazz re-issues that I bought new in the late 90's. It was a nice bass for the price and I love bound necks and block inlays. Is your bass a 3 bolt?