1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Dating a Peavey Amp Head

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Journey55, Oct 17, 2013.

1. I'm selling my Peavey Mace Amp Head and a guy wants to know when it was made (some personal preference about not having one before 1977) so any way to tell what year it is? I didn't find a database or anything like Femder has...the numbers in the corner say 7124407

ImageUploadedByTalkBass1382016101.413059.

ImageUploadedByTalkBass1382016121.579202.

ImageUploadedByTalkBass1382016132.862893.

2. You might try calling Peavey, maybe they can tell you from the serial number.

Components inside the amp often have date codes on them. The potentiometers, transformers, and capacitors specifically. Here's one explanation I found with a quick Google of "EIA codes", http://users.eastlink.ca/~mitchlane/EIA_Codes.html

Obviously, the amp cannot be older than the components inside, assuming they haven't been replaced.

3. Rune Bivrin

Rune Bivrin Supporting Member

Oct 2, 2006
    Huddinge, Sweden
    I've seen talk about sharing the bed with your favourite bass, but dating an amp is a new one...

4. Oren Hudson

Oren Hudson

Dec 25, 2007
    Gastonia, NC
    You also might try the Peavey forum. If the info's not there, someone will probably chime in with some insight. :cool:

5. BbbyBld

BbbyBld

Oct 13, 2005
    Meridian, MS
    The older ones had a discrete transistor preamp and the later ones had an opamp preamp. There are fans of both models. The way I understand it, if it says Mace VTX on the front, it's the later model.

6. So, in case someone else wanted to know, the Peavey person I talked to said that there is a sticker on it (which there is) that dictates the year so that the number of numbers after one letter and one number is the year pre 1975, 1975 and after had the number before the letter dictate the year and they all had 5 numbers after (ie 7A59687 would be 1977)