1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

dating a vintage ibanez "precision" bass ......

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jarrod cunningham, Apr 19, 2009.

1. jarrod cunningham

jarrod cunningham

Apr 24, 2007
    sylacauga alabama
    spector basses
    i need some info on how to properly date my ibanez pbass ....

websites , info , articles ..... theres no serial number , and the electronics have been swapped out . it has the cursive logo , fender headstock , fender type tuners .... i really dont wanna remove the neck if i dont have to .....

2. kenjikun

kenjikun

Apr 27, 2008
    Japan

Ibanez were tone of the very early Japanese companies to copy the P-Bass and there are very few around. This P-Bass is rare. The last of these P-Bass were made from the mid '70s. There were no serial numbers (as well as the '70s Fernandes). Probably your bass was made between '72-'77. Unlike other early Fender copies, this Ibanez P-Bass is very hard to find now, even here in Japan.

One member here has the same P-Bass. I saw he posted an image. Just search for it.

3. danomite64

danomite64

Nov 16, 2004
    Tampa, Florida
    Ibanez started using serial numbers in '76, so your bass probably is no newer than a '75.

4. 3toes

3toes

Aug 30, 2006
    Charleston, South Carolina
    Endorsing Artist: Lakland Basses
    +1

Search for "Silver Series" for a little more info on them. But even then, I don't believe they started using that name until '76. I have a '78 that I absolutely love :)

ibanez004.

ibanez002.

5. jarrod cunningham

jarrod cunningham

Apr 24, 2007
    sylacauga alabama
    spector basses
    yeah i was told serial numbers started in 75 76 ... so mine is older than that . it only has ibanez in cursive on the headstock , nothing else . its a real relic , thats why i bought it . its beat to all crap and now plays incredible ... also to note , i has a truss rod cover on the headstock .

6. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

I have a '77 Ibby P. No truss over on headstock (truss access is @ base of neck). It has the lawsuit headstock and only says "Ibanez" and nothing else. Serial on mine is on the neck plate.

7. jarrod cunningham

jarrod cunningham

Apr 24, 2007
    sylacauga alabama
    spector basses
    mine has the correct neck plate , just no serial number ....

8. Quadzilla

Here is mine by the way (it's for sale):

DSCF0413.

9. D Rokk

D Rokk Banned

Feb 19, 2009
    Delta Quadrant
    dinner and a movie should suffice....

10. Quadzilla

Hah! Good one (for those that are slow, see the subject title)!

11. jarrod cunningham

jarrod cunningham

Apr 24, 2007
    sylacauga alabama
    spector basses
    yeah i knew when i listed it like that some one would jump me about it ... lol lol still funny ...

12. jarrod cunningham

jarrod cunningham

Apr 24, 2007
    sylacauga alabama
    spector basses
    bump for more info .

13. bh2

bh2

Jun 16, 2008
    Oxford, UK
    I had a 'Silver Series' Precision... it was white with a maple board with Jazz style block markers and a P/J pup arrangement... I sold it... it was nice though but.

14. jarrod cunningham

jarrod cunningham

Apr 24, 2007
    sylacauga alabama
    spector basses
    bump for info

15. jarrod cunningham

jarrod cunningham

Apr 24, 2007
    sylacauga alabama
    spector basses
    info bump

16. IbanezATK

IbanezATK

Feb 24, 2009
    Monroe, LA, USA
    I had a lawsuit Ibanez I picked up to track bass when I was a "gui****ist." I wish I still had it, it sounded really good. I had a lawsuit Ibanez Les Paul that I paid 200.00 for as well, it was a piece of ****.