Dating Ampeg V4B

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Dallyd31, Oct 6, 2017.

1. Dallyd31

Dallyd31 Supporting Member

Jun 22, 2005
    Peterborough, Ontario
    Looking for a little help dating this V4B. Owner says 1970 ( don't believe they were even produced in 1970). I think early 70's but not sure. It says Magnavox on the back. Black rocker switches, metal power/standby switches.

V4B front.jpg V4B back.jpg

basscapes likes this.
  2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    V4B came out in 1971, and that could be anywhere from 71 to 74. Only sure way of knowing is to date it using pot and/or transformer codes, as the serial tells you nothing.

3. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast

Aug 7, 2008
    To add to what Jimmy said...

I find that the V4B's from that era with the aluminum knobs are the most desirable. The knobs are hard to find but you find them on ebay. A while back there was a guy selling reproductions on ebay, not sure if he is still in business.

Other parts, sometimes the vintage knobs, are available at fliptops.net. The lettering on the front panel rubs off easily. If you buy it be careful when cleaning it. I bought a replacement for mine from fliptops. It fits well and looks way better now.

I see that this one has a three conductor accessory outlet, not a two pronged one. A 71 would have had the 2-prong connector so the amp is later than that.

4. Dallyd31

Dallyd31 Supporting Member

Jun 22, 2005
    Peterborough, Ontario
    Thanks. I saw the 3 prong outlet and figured that meant it was later more than earlier 70's. Any idea when the 3 prong outlet came in ?
    The guy does have the missing knob. The serial number is 53867, but my understanding is that doesn't mean much.

5. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast

Aug 7, 2008
    I'm thinking 72 was when they converted the outlet from 2 to 3.

They are all good from that era. They all sound the same when properly serviced.

6. Ben B

Ben B

Jul 13, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    If it was a 71 or early 72, I would likely be a blue line, not black line and be produced by Ampeg, not Magnavox . If it was a 75 or later, it would have the rounded black lines. Therefore, I'm going to say it's a 73 or 74.

7. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    I have never seen a Blue Line V4B in my life, bro. Pretty sure blue was done away with in 71. That said, you may be right about the year.