Dating my MIJ 51 RI Precision

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by attackbass, Nov 7, 2011.

1. attackbass

attackbass

Jul 16, 2007
    Endorsing Artist:Orange Amps, EBS FX, Ernie Ball, Fender Bass Guitars
    Anyone able to help me with this...

I bought a Japanese Fender 51 RI Precision last Feb directly from Fender in the UK through an endorsement deal... fast forward on to last week - I bought an Early 90s MIJ 62 Re-issue and was looking up the serial numbers to make sure it was what it was advertised as.

Out of curiosity I looked up my MIJ 51 RI serial number and from what I could see this bass is supposedly from the mid 90s... is this possible? It seems unlikely to me that Fender would have stock still from the 90s!? or have Fender Japan started to re-use serial numbers?!

2. Bongolation

Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    California
    No Bogus Endorsements
    No.

Fender's site dating info is screwed up. Letter + 5 digits is wrong. There are six digits on every one I've seen, same as on the old ones.

Another thread on this last week.

The same number scheme is on the recent Dyna-Gakki instruments as were on the '90s Fujigen-Gakki instruments. Theoretically, they could even have the same numbers.

3. BIGEJ2

BIGEJ2 Supporting Member

Jul 29, 2009
    Happy Valley, PA
    Call Fender's customer service with the serial number. They'll help you out.

4. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 22, 2021