Dating my Precision Bass's Pickup.

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Fender32, Aug 20, 2005.

1. Fender32

Jun 23, 2005
    Kent, England
    Any vintage Fender experts out there that can lend me a hand with this query please? :)

I recently bought a 1975 P Bass, which was claimed to be 100% original (how many times have you read that in an advert and thought, "Oh yeah"?) :meh:

Anyway, I read in a book that Fender used a date stamping code on the bottom of their grey-bobbined pickups around this time. The problem is that the book doesn't explain how the code works, or during which periods it was used.

So, my pickup has raised "A" polepieces and the "date" stamp - 21 1 (followed by what look like 88, 89, or 83). Hopefully, the photo will be clear enough for you.

:help: My question is simple: Can anyone tell me whether the code is literally a straightforward date stamp, meaning that this pickup is from a much later period than the rest of the bass, or could it be from the mid-seventies? Also, should a 1975 P Bass have raised "A" polepieces, or not?

Thanks in advance for your help.
  2. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    Check out the guys at the FenderForum, they know stuff like this.
  3. Fender32

Jun 23, 2005
    Kent, England
    :) I have just done that, thanks Ivar.

If anyone else has any opinions on the date of this pickup, I'd still be interested to hear them.