Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Dating of SWR Workingman's series

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by captainpabst, Apr 16, 2003.

1. captainpabst

captainpabst

Mar 18, 2001
    Tennessee
    Does anyone know between what years the Workingman's series had chrome grills? Specifically wondering about the Workingman's 10 combo. Thanks-

Pabst

2. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    I'm 90% sure that none of the workingmans series ever came with chrome, thats exclusive to the pro series. I have seen guys get the spray chrome and paint their grills though. If there ever was a chrome workingmans anything, I've never seen it.

3. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    SWR has that info online:

http://swrsound.com/products/vintage.html

1996 - Pro Series speaker grills upgraded from triangular bronze to square punch black/silver.
    1999 - Pro Series amplifiers aesthetic revision (black front panels to chrome front panels).
    1999 - Pro Series speaker grill aesthetic revision (powder coat to chrome).
    2002 - Pro Series amplifiers aesthetic revision (chrome front panels to brushed aluminum/dome logo).

1999 - Workingman's full line aesthetic revision (black/silver screen to navy/red screen).
    2002 - Workingman's full line aesthetic revision (navy/red screen to midnight blue/dome logo).

4. captainpabst

captainpabst

Mar 18, 2001
    Tennessee
    Thanks guys. I have a friend who just got a deal on a Workingman's 10 off of Ebay. He said the grill was chrome, which I doubted. Maybe the glare from the camera flash in the pic made the black grill look silver? (He doesn't have it in hand yet) I dunno. Nevertheless I thought I'd ask. I appreciate it.

5. On SWR products:

Crack open the amp case and the inspection date (month & year) with initials are written on the transformer.