1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

dating/pricing Nürnberger German bow?

Discussion in 'Bows and Rosin [DB]' started by BostonPop01, Dec 23, 2017.

Tags:
  1. BostonPop01

BostonPop01

Jan 1, 2009
    Hi everyone,
    I have a Nürnberger german bass bow at home on trial. I'm always really interested in getting as much information about what I'm purchasing as possible, so I'd appreciate any ideas people here have about it! What is the going price these days for a good Nürnberger? Also could someone tell me about the condition on the frog under the Nürnberger label?

My understanding is that in 1891 the McKinley Tariff Act required imported goods be labelled with the country of origin. Next to the frog on the underside you can see that there is a "Germany" stamp, so it was clearly an import to the US. Furthermore, the stars on either side of the stamp mean it was post 1920. The serif font suggests this also. Beyond that I'm a bit clueless.

There is additionally an "A" stamped on the side opposite the Nürnberger. Will try to get a picture of that if people have interest. Thanks in advance!

Attached Files: