Daughter's 1st "gig"

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by whatsinaname, Jan 20, 2005.

1. My 14 yo daughter has been singing for years. So, she decided to take her music theory she learned from piano lessons and taught herself how to play guitar and sing. Then she decided she wanted to be in the school talent show again this year, but this time with a band! She recruited two girlfriends to play guitar and bass, as well as a male friend to play drums. They have been rehearsing at my house and the drummer's (his dad is a drummer and used to the noise too).
    They've gotten quite tight, considering they are only in eighth grade and first band and all.
    The show is tomorrow night.
    I can't help it, but I'm a proud poppa. :hyper:
    And the bass player's name is Syd. cool, eh?
  2. Sounds sweet! As a teenager myself, I am always impressed (and depressed for that matter- why couldn't I be born musically gifted! :bawl: ...i'll just have to work harder) by gifted teenagers, especially young female singers who don't sing pop and understand the difference between having a strong voice and a good voice(HUGe difference).

The reason why I read your post was because you seem to have a similar story to someone I met over at the Homerecording.com BBS.
    Proud father, 14 year old daughter.

Check them out- Proud Dad

3. Wow, that kid is good. Nice voice and good technique for a 14-year-old.
  4. bluemonk

Dec 17, 2002
    Totally cool. I started playing bass at 14 and am female and those early and HS rock band memories are among my favorite.
    Thanks for being a supportive dad, Dad!!
  5. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    That girls pretty good :p
  6. Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    Thats cool - me and my friends get our first gig in Massachusets in the end of April, in which my friend Rach who can sing and play acoustic guitar pretty well...well, thats gonna be fun...

And to whoever said they wished they were gifted...well, I'm the kid who had 5 years of piano and hated it because my parents forced me into it....but the theory was kinda nice (and then playin viola was my call)

Sorry i'm kinda just blabbing...
  7. karrot-x

karrot-x Banned

Feb 21, 2004
    Omicron Persei 8
    Awesome, be proud and make sure you kick the crap outa anyone getting to roudy or 'booing'...which of course we know wont happen.
  8. srxplayer

May 19, 2004
    Highland, CA
    Thats great to hear.

I'm sure the show will go well.

We are all pulling for her.