1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Dave Alexander and The Stooges

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Klaxxi, Nov 30, 2018.

1. Klaxxi

Klaxxi

Mar 6, 2017
    Beaumont, TX
    I've been listening to The Stooges "Funhouse" album a lot here lately and the bass is pretty sweet on a lot of their songs.I don't really see Dave Alexander mentioned much anywhere really. I suppose The Stooges kinda being not huge commercial success contributes to that.

my favorites of theirs.

2. consectaneus

consectaneus

Sep 23, 2016
    One of my top 10 all time albums! I used to jam to that...great riff based lines. I believe he played a Mosrite single pickup "Ventures" model bass on that.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2018
    knumbskull and J-Mags like this.
  3. Michedelic

Michedelic MId-Century Modern

After the demise of the original Stooges(for “Raw Power” Ron Ashton took over on bass after James Williamson came in on guitar), I don’t recall Alexander doing much else besides slowly drinking himself to death.

4. J-Mags

J-Mags Supporting Member

Jun 18, 2018
    Durham NC
    He sounded awesome on Funhouse! Loose and very powerful.

knumbskull and jerry like this.
  5. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    MC5, Stooges, very overlooked links in the chain of raw rock music.

knumbskull likes this.
  6. knumbskull

knumbskull

Jul 28, 2007
    UK
    Love that album!

There are some great great basslines, Dirt (even with a slightly off scale moment in the descending bit) and the title song Fun House spring to mind.

Down the Street and TV Eye are straight up rippers too.

Raw Power gets more rave reviews but Fun House is the better album IMO. I think it broke away from a lot of stuff at the time that was more trad or blues-based, and helped set the blueprint for a lot of hard rock, metal, and more far-out psych and experimental*** bands - it was a very early example of a purely riff-driven album, as opposed to a more song-based approach like Raw Power.

***And the last track is basically free jazz and screaming. What’s not to like? :)

filler83, consectaneus and J-Mags like this.
  7. knumbskull

knumbskull

Jul 28, 2007
    UK
    grrg63, Nebula24 and mellowinman like this.
  8. J-Mags

J-Mags Supporting Member

Jun 18, 2018
    Durham NC
    I agree that Funhouse is by far the better album. It sounds so much fuller and more intense. I don't think people were prepared for the monomania back then. And they couldn't contextualize Ron Ashton's guitar and Dave Alexander's bass. Imagine hearing TV Eye if you've never heard punk rock before, and then there's LA Blues.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2018
    filler83 and knumbskull like this.
  9. Klaxxi

Klaxxi

Mar 6, 2017
    Beaumont, TX
    I found this interesting reading about how the album was recorded in studio

"To achieve their vision, The Stooges and Gallucci stripped the entire studio of its usual gear to emulate their live performances as closely as possible. According to Gallucci, they set up the band in the way they normally play at a concert. For example, Pop was singing through a handheld microphone, and the guitar and bass amps were placed side by side. The results were very raw when compared to many contemporary records; for example, without the normal isolation baffles the vibrations from the bass amplifier cause audible rattling of the snare drum on several songs."

grrg63, knumbskull and J-Mags like this.
  10. consectaneus

consectaneus

Sep 23, 2016
    Here they are in the studio during the recording of Fun House:
    stooge2.

J-Mags, grrg63 and knumbskull like this.
  11. grrg63

grrg63

Dec 14, 2005
    Pittsburgh
    This is my favorite Stooges bassline.

knumbskull likes this.
  12. Michedelic

Michedelic MId-Century Modern

FYI, that is Ron Ashton on bass(James Williamson on guitar), both of those tracks were “Raw Power” outtakes recorded in London, 1972, on Bowie’s dime(or shilling, or whatever). “I’m Sick Of You” features a sly quote from The Yardbirds’ “Happenings Ten Years Time Ago”.

knumbskull likes this.