Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Dave Allen of GlassJAw

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by CrossOutTheStar, Jan 29, 2003.

1. Hey, new user here, was on the FDP board for a long time...

I was wondering how Dave Allen of Glassjaw gets his grindy tone. Would a SansAmp driver attain this tone? For a listen, download Two Tabs of Mescaline, or When One Eight Becomes Two Zeros by Glassjaw. Thanks for all input.

Also, any emo/hardcore people here?

2. lemonadeisgood

lemonadeisgood

Aug 22, 2001
    Canada
    Glassjaw is great.

No idea about his tone though, sorry.

3. Stachio

Stachio Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2002
    Atlanta
    The Big Muff Pi plays a part in that. But he's got some other stuff in there. I believe I saw Aphex Aural Exciter in there ?

4. defhed2012

defhed2012

Mar 24, 2001
    well dave allens the latest of a number of bassists for gj. somebody else, i would assume with totally different gear, played on the first album.

5. CptZacSparrow

CptZacSparrow

Mar 26, 2010
    Dave Allen wasn't even on the Worship and Tribute album, that was justin beck. Allen only played during the tour and then left. Manny Carrero was the bassist heard on EYWTKAS record and in my opinion is the true bassist of GJ. The only reason he wasn't on W&T album is because Roadrunner records kicked him out because he had a conflicting touring schedule. Dave Allen isn't **** compared to Manny, He uses a big muff along with some type of Wah effect. Listen to his basslines on the Colouring book ep and our color green.

6. change-jug

change-jug

Oct 11, 2008
    Buffalo,NY
    I love the bass on the Coloring Book ep(which I has to buy off of ebay). I saw them live in 09 or 10 and they were awesome!
    I really like how dubby the bass is on the new recordings compared to the earlier stuff.