Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Dave Brubeck- For All Time

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by sargebaker, Aug 10, 2005.

1. sargebaker

sargebaker Commercial User

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    owner/builder, ISLAND Instrument Mfg.
    I bought the Box set recently, it was a greatl deal, 70 bux for 5 CDs. I gave them all a quick listen but nothing in detail. So far the only song (on an album other than time out) that jumped at me was Forty Days on Time In. One thing I noticed is many of the songs seem to resemble each other. Has anyone else purchased this box set or the CDs individually? What's your general opinion? I'm looking forward to giving a deeper listening to them!

2. fraublugher

fraublugher

Nov 19, 2004
    ottawa, ontario, canada
    music school retailer
    a lot of people dont know that he was in ww11 and suffered a pretty bad hand injury.

3. sargebaker

sargebaker Commercial User

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    owner/builder, ISLAND Instrument Mfg.
    I didnt know the hand injury part. Is that a justification for the songs sounding similar or just an interesting tidbit?

4. Similar in what way? Instrumentation-wise, it's all pretty much piano, alto sax, upright bass, and kit; and it's the same four guys playing them (Brubeck, Desmond, Wright, and Morello respectively) with the same musical sensibilities.

I think that if you're looking for variation you might need to dig a little deeper and go to the songs themselves. Even in something like Blue Rondo you've got a frenetic 9/8 juxtaposed against a lazy swing section. There's a square dance in 7/4 (OK, as Brubeck would call it, an "un-square dance").

If there is an artist worthy of deeper study, Brubeck is definitely it, so don't wait-- and go see him live while you still can, he's still got his chops even in his mid-80s.

And listen to him talk sometime about the stuff he had to go through in the 50s and 60s because he employed Gene Wright, a colored bassist.

5. fraublugher

fraublugher

Nov 19, 2004
    ottawa, ontario, canada
    music school retailer
    just an interesting tidbit